The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   3yo filly what would you do ?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/3yo-filly-what-would-you-do-145465/)

Tiffany handley 12-03-2012 08:47 AM

3yo filly what would you do ??

Hi I have a unraced tb filly who currently is worked 3x a week currently working well (better then most her age) she is very willing to go foward has a loverly soft mouth works well on the straight and circle currently just working on getting our left canter lead and has no nastys at all ...... My problem is I'm 8 weeks pregnant ... ( I was happy to keep working her but started to get bad cramps) so I'm going to have to call it quits till the baby arrived..... Anyways what would you do.... Would you put her out to grow? Find someone to ride her ? Lease her out?? .... I am very confused on what to do .... I wouldn't want someone to ruin all the hard work so far or teach her the wrong thins so more leaning towards a spell what do you think??

Chiilaa 12-03-2012 09:01 AM

I would spell her. It is not at all unusual for a 3 year old to be backed, started a little, then turned out for half a year or more.

BarrelWannabe 12-03-2012 09:05 AM

If it be financially feasible, turn her out until you've got the time.

She might be a little rusty, but she sounds like a smart girl, so you might just have to do a refresher course.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 12-03-2012 09:18 AM

Let her have the time off - I wouldn't lease her as she is just barely started as it is and by leasing you would be entrusting someone else to do an awful lot of training work on her which means risking them laying foundations you do not want. There is nothing to lose, imo, by letting her go for a while - and an awful lot to gain as she'll come back even more mature and ready to work with what you are asking of her.

toosexy4myspotz 12-03-2012 10:07 AM

i am just now starting my mare again at 4 1/2yo. i started her at 2 yo then got pregnant. i still rode her but not a lot just around the barn. i got pregnant again when my first daughter was six months old and yet again ride her very little. she is rusty but not bad. and i am having no major problems with her. she isn't buddy or barn sour at all. She tacos up and mounts just fine. she just needs more miles. so putting your 3yo out to pasture for a year is not going yo ruin her.
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 12-03-2012 12:15 PM

Horses have amazing memories; especially the young ones.

I actually prefer to put a little bit of time on a 2 year old or 3 year old, and then turn them out for the winter for 4+ months to "be a horse". I usually see them come back to it better than where they were before getting a break.

She sounds like a smart cookie. She should fine.

themacpack 12-03-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toosexy4myspotz (Post 1782839)
i am just now starting my mare again at 4 1/2yo. i started her at 2 yo then got pregnant. i still rode her but not a lot just around the barn. i got pregnant again when my first daughter was six months old and yet again ride her very little. she is rusty but not bad. and i am having no major problems with her. she isn't buddy or barn sour at all. She tacos up and mounts just fine. she just needs more miles. so putting your 3yo out to pasture for a year is not going yo ruin her.
Posted via Mobile Device

It took me a good bit of thinking to figure out what you meant there :lol:

toosexy4myspotz 12-03-2012 12:38 PM

lol oh my goodness. my phone must have autocorrected me gee wiz
Posted via Mobile Device

Tiffany handley 12-03-2012 05:54 PM

Thanks guys most of you have just pointed me to what I thort was best for her ..... A SPELL she proble needs it anyway since she's 3yo and had a prep (for racing) then I got her shes is doing just fine I think she's earned her spell :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunderspark 12-03-2012 11:38 PM

I have a 3 1/2yr. QH gelding, we just started him under saddle this fall.....he's off for the winter now. There is a foot of snow in our round pen and I don't want to chance him slipping and having a bad experience. I don't think it would hurt to give the filly time off till you have your baby....