The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Looking for a job doing barn/equine work. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/looking-job-doing-barn-equine-work-145499/)

Elizabeth Bowers 12-03-2012 02:35 PM

Looking for a job doing barn/equine work.

I'm looking for a job taking care of horses or cleaning a barn/tack in my area (Mill Run, PA). I've worked with horses my whole life, and managed a barn with 6 head of horses when i was 12-15. I enjoy being around them, and i would just like to find a job where i can be around them, and learn and get some more outside experience.
Thanks!

DancingArabian 12-03-2012 02:39 PM

Check yardandgroom.com
Posted via Mobile Device

Elizabeth Bowers 12-03-2012 07:47 PM

Thank you DA!!

DancingArabian 12-03-2012 08:52 PM

Welcome!

Don't forget to check the Equiery. Check the employment sections and the wanted sections, both under "buying & selling" on the website AND in the digital version. There's different tiers of ads and sometimes the online ones are not in the book and vice versa.

The Equiery – News & Views

boots 12-03-2012 09:04 PM

proequinegrooms dot com also has some jobs.

There's always my "go to" of hitting the polo barns and clubs. Fun work, as far as grooming goes. Just be picky. There are a rare few crummy owners in polo. Most have great manners and consideration for their employees."

Elizabeth Bowers 12-03-2012 09:42 PM

The thing is there aren't very many 'sport horse' type barns around my area, and if there is its about an hour away from me just one way. I was hoping to find something local, i know plenty of people who have horses, and a few boarding barns, but its like no one is interested in hiring. :-( Thanks Boots, and DA for your help, i'm gonna keep looking!!

Saddlebag 12-05-2012 09:28 AM

There is a demand for someone reliable to do horse duties when the owners need to be away. This would be a good start. You will need lots of character references. Some may even provide accommodation. Nothing worse than being a thousand miles away and wondering if animals have been fed or standing in a weeks worth of faeces. Don't undersell your value. Charge at least minimun wage plus travel if you have to run back and forth. Do a good job and you will be highly valued and word will spread.

Elizabeth Bowers 12-06-2012 12:53 PM

Thanks Saddlebag! :-)