The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Replacing helmet (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/replacing-helmet-14550/)

o0hawaiigirl0o 09-11-2008 03:28 AM

Replacing helmet

Are you supposed to replace your helmet whenever you fall and hit your head, no matter how hard? I heard that you're supposed to do this because even if your helmet isn't dented, it could be damaged. Is this true and have you ever done this before?

I own a Troxel helmet and if it's within two years of the purchase date, they will replace my helmet after a fall for no fee or a small fee. I want to take advantage of this if it's true that I should replace my helmet, because I had a fall recently.

claireauriga 09-11-2008 05:14 AM

If it's free, do it!

One of the main ways a helmet protects your head is that when you have an impact, there is some sort of foam or other porous substance that deforms so that your head doesn't. The energy of the impact is absorbed by the act of crumpling the foam. Any fall can either crumple the foam or damage its structure so that it can't then do it's job next time. This kind of damage is very difficult to see or feel inside your helmet.

o0hawaiigirl0o 09-11-2008 05:29 PM

Thanks for the info! I just need to figure out when I bought my helmet to see if it's within the two years...

My2Geldings 09-11-2008 05:37 PM

Protecting your head is probably the most important decision you will be making on a regular basis when handling horses. The costs do add up and it does get expensive, but replacing your helmet is just to important when compared to the potential results of not having done so when you had the chance.
If the fee is small, even more of a reason to help you make the decision to go ahead and replace it.

IrishRider 09-12-2008 11:19 AM

I would replace it, especially if the company encourages you to do so by providing a free service. I know when you even so much as drop your motorcycle helmet you are supposed to look into replacing it. Same goes if you have had it for 5 years. I would do it to be safe. The next time you fall you might really need it to do it's job and you don't want anything to compromise that.