The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Korea's secret weapon. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/koreas-secret-weapon-145513/)

SorrelHorse 12-03-2012 07:28 PM

Korea's secret weapon.

Young-mok Kim: K-Pop: A Secret Weapon of Korea for Future Cultural Domination?

Was just perusing. I am one of those that absolutely loves Kpop (DrumRunner hates it :lol:)

I'm a fan of the voices and the dancing and actual talent. The same goes for american stars, I like them if they're talented, if they aren't I don't like them. I also like flashy things for my ADHD self to watch--Which is plenty of what Kpop is about. I find a lot of people saying "They do such wierd things!!" Yet go and listen to Lady GaGa who dressed up in a meat and showed up to the awards in a giant egg, as well as completed mock-suicide on stage :rofl: I find Korean music is just as diverse as American, with some very messed up stuff, some cheesy, some downright adorable, soft, slow, fast, dance-worthy, sad, inspiration, fun....All of it. Another reason I like it is that the entertainment labels over there do NOT tolerate drugs, sex, constant partying, etc. If you do that, you get booted.

So, yeah, maybe we are being turned into a secret weapon. :lol: I wonder what the American artists think of this. Flo Rida, Dev, Three Six Mafia, and other groups have collaborated with Korean artists before. Adam Lambert performed just a few days ago on the Mnet Asian Music Awards, was accompanied by B.o.B. A lot of the K-pop Idols are also fans of American music, Taeyang from Big Bang is an example since his role model is Michael Jackson. What do you guys think of this coming new trend that is Korean Pop music? Do you see it any differant from our music, besides the language barrier? Do you think this is a good thing? Do you think they deserve attention for their achievements as well? I'm really interested since I don't get to talk about this very much.

Faceman 12-03-2012 08:16 PM

Obnoxious noise is obnoxious noise, and mindless gibberish is mindless gibberish...it all sounds the same to me...

SorrelHorse 12-03-2012 08:51 PM

What do you classify as "obnoxious noise"? I'm not going to defend it really but I am really interested, because obviously our interests will be different ^^

^ Does this song count as obnoxious noise? ^^ People often don't see that side of K-pop, but there's a lot of slow, more touching songs like that. While the topic of that song is generic it's one of the more popular right now. It's about a guy (G-Dragon) who has a one-sided love for his friend who is dating another guy, and he witnessed him cheating on her and it escalates. Oh and I hate the beeps in that version of the video. He says, in Korean, "That ******* doesn't love you". But ya know censored for the general public.

Now, I can understand how people think this is obnoxious noise:

Same artist, but I LOVE dancing to that song and I love how he's just so ADHD and doesn't even care what people think. It's an artistic perspective, isn't it?

SorrelHorse 12-03-2012 08:55 PM

Oh and what do you think of these girls too? I'm using more mainstream artists right now in the industry because I find they appeal more to the people outside of their own country more. :D

Faceman 12-04-2012 10:52 AM

Haha...all obnoxious to me. I like actual music - classical and light classical, very little "popular" music except for some well written music before computer enhancements. Real music and performers don't need computers or visual or sexual gimmicks...they stand on their own artistic and creative merit...

Speed Racer 12-04-2012 10:56 AM

Don't mind Face, he's just a crusty old curmudgeon. I bet he yells at kids to get off his lawn, too. :wink:

Showjumper1289 12-04-2012 11:06 AM

mandopop is even worse k pop can be quite good in a cheesy way but after a long day waching gangnam style just makes you laugh
Posted via Mobile Device

Tianimalz 12-04-2012 11:11 AM

Darn you!! I'm still stuck on 4MINUTE, now you got me scrambling to find the others too!!

Not sure if it counts, but may I just add that I really adore some Hatsune Miku stuff?

Just so creative and cute :3 And I don't care what anyone says, there is talent and art in there.

Faceman 12-04-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1784203)
Don't mind Face, he's just a crusty old curmudgeon. I bet he yells at kids to get off his lawn, too. :wink:

Nah...I just know the difference between good music and junk noise...

To each his/her/its own, though...

Showjumper1289 12-04-2012 11:24 AM

hatsune miku is really creepy
Posted via Mobile Device