The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Looking for a complete horse feed without molasses for my HYPP horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/looking-complete-horse-feed-without-molasses-145516/)

mrpetie 12-03-2012 07:45 PM

Looking for a complete horse feed without molasses for my HYPP horse.

I have recently been given a 16 year old quarter horse with HYPP and I need specific brands of feeds that do NOT contain molasses. I need a complete feed for him. I currently have him on oats and beet pulp without molasses and special senior horse mix of herbs. I need specific brand names please. I have done my research on potassium levels and all of that, I simply need brand names of complete feeds for him, not advice. Thank you.

Lockwood 12-03-2012 08:19 PM

Check out ration balancers.
My horse is on one and gets slightly less than one pound a day plus 2 oz hoof supplement and is fat, sleek, and healthy.
The two I have used are Buckeye GRO N WIN
and Nutrena Empower Balancer
Initially I used the GRO N Win (ingredients listed on their web page and I didn‘t see molasses)
http://www.gro-n-win.com/product-info/gro-'n-win.aspx
I liked it very much and I think there is even a blurb on there about HYPP too.
However, my local feed supplier had some issues (not company related) so I switched to this one. You will have to dig around the web site for exact ingredients, but it is also a low starch/sugar complete feed/ration balancer.)
http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena/products/horses/empower-supplements/Empower-Balance/index.jsp
This one is every bit as good for what I need it for, and so long as no supplier issues come up, I plan to keep my horse on this one.

If it helps to know, I joined FeedXL and ran my horse’s diet and numbers through the system and he scored over 100% on everything with no recommended changes.

While I’m sure your horse’s need are different than mine, overall these ration balancers seem to have good reputations for horses with a variety of issues.

deserthorsewoman 12-03-2012 08:28 PM

Don't know, honestly, about RB's.
Recommended are straight grains, or COB, without molasses, wheat bran, beetpulp, pure fats and oils, except canola oil, because they're all low potassium and offset the higher potassium content in roughages. COB (corn, oats, barley) premixed should be available at any feedstore.

walkinthewalk 12-04-2012 08:52 AM

I have two horses with metabolic issues that can't have molasses, soy, or grain:-(

EquiPride is a vit/min supplement with a pre-probiotic in it.

Horse equine ? EquiPride and EquiLix

It only takes ten ounces daily, preferably five ounces per feeding.

Some horses like the taste of it, others don't but I can get all of mine to eat it.

For the easy keepers, I mix one measuring cup of timothy pellets.

For the hard keepes I mix rice bran.

EquiPride is also soy-free.

The other possbility might be McCauley's M-10 ration balancer. It is soy-free and grain-free. I am fairly certain it is molasses-free but I would call them to be sure. McCauley's® M10 Balancer

Hope this helps:-)

verona1016 12-04-2012 05:56 PM

I'm not familiar with how restricted potassium must be for a horse with HYPP, but I'm very happy with Triple Crown 30% Supplement ration balancer. It's the lowest NSC RB I've been able to find at 9.8% (it doesn't help that a lot of feed companies don't publish that info) It's guaranteed analysis puts the potassium at 1.4%, or 6.35 grams in the typical 1 lb daily feeding.

There are a number of other ration balancers out there with lower potassium levels if 1.4% is too high, but I don't have any first hand experience with them:
Buckeye Grow N Win Alfa (0.6%)
Seminole Equalizer (0.6%)
Blue Seal Min-A-Vite Lite (0.8%)
ProAdvantage Alfalfa formula (0.9%)

deserthorsewoman 12-04-2012 06:09 PM

Verona, it's supposed to be 1%, with forages already high, therefore it's recommended to feed 50/50 forage and straight grain and a vit/min supplement. Goes against anything we're used to but HYPP horses do well on it:-/

verona1016 12-04-2012 09:51 PM

I'm assuming that 1% is for the total diet? In that case, 1 lb of ration balancer (TC30 or another one) might not really be a big problem, since it's only 1 lb of 20+ lbs total intake. The rest of the grain could be oats or similar.

Or maybe it would be better to find a suitable vit/min supplement to add into the straight grains instead. I don't really have a good sense of how much potassium is already in hay that you need to offset :-P

deserthorsewoman 12-04-2012 10:15 PM

Can't remember the exact number.....it's the age;-)...
But considerably more in forage than in straight grain. And the article said not to worry about potassium in a vit/min supplement, since you feed max 2oz of it.

verona1016 12-05-2012 12:28 PM

Seems like a vit/min supplement might be the path of least resistance then. :-)

OP, I know you said you're not looking for advice, but it sounds like beet pulp and oats are probably a good combination for the situation and you might just need to add in a vit/min. I'm not having much luck finding a complete feed with potassium below 1%

deserthorsewoman 12-05-2012 02:38 PM

Second that. I've seen a horse maintained just fine with grass hay and COB without any attacks ever.