The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mare may be pregnant? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mare-may-pregnant-145518/)

DJlove 12-03-2012 06:52 PM

Mare may be pregnant?

Hey, my friend has a horse, i'm new to horses and she doesn't have access to a computer right now so i'm posting for her.

She has a horse that's around 10 years and she just got her in late July early August, anyway the other day when they went to feed the horse was laying down and they watched it carefully to see what she was going to do. Then they realized that she had a bag, well today when they went to feed her bag is getting bigger and she has been laying in corners of the field quite a lot. They are pretty sure she's pregnant but don't really know what to do..

Anyone please help?

Thanks.

kassierae 12-03-2012 08:17 PM

The only way to be 100% sure is to get a vet out. Has she been in with a stallion in the last year?
Posted via Mobile Device

RustyBucket 12-03-2012 08:18 PM

Just keep a close eye on her and leave her be. If she's bagging she could drop the foal anytime. Have a vet's number handy in case of any complications.

Edited to add: How long has it been since the first noticed her bagging?
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 12-03-2012 08:47 PM

I personally wouldn't wait to have a vet out. You have only had the mare a short time (3-4 months?) so a good physical is in order (assuming you have not done that already) Since the vet if they were out, didn't notice the mare to be pregnant at that time, it is time for another look. Got any pictures of the mare? of her bag?

DJlove 12-04-2012 05:43 PM

I will tell my friend to call the vet, and she hasn't been with any stallions since we've had her, even if she was though she wouldn't be ready to drop yet. The people they got her from didn't say anything about her being with a stallion, she's be trying to get in contact with the people though, but no answer. I will get her to take a picture of the bag tomorrow since it's dark already. Thank you all.

Also, we noticed her bagging about a week ago.

RustyBucket 12-04-2012 08:56 PM

I'm sorry, I believe I misunderstood what you meant by "bagging". Are you saying her udders are swelling with milk? I thought you meant that she had a bag (amniotic sac) hanging out of her. I've heard the term "bagging" in reference to both events and therefore thought that she would soon give birth. My apologies.
Posted via Mobile Device