The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   My creative well is overflowing.....my drive is not! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/my-creative-well-overflowing-my-drive-145539/)

Muppetgirl 12-04-2012 12:56 AM

My creative well is overflowing.....my drive is not!

Ok......up until we moved, 5 months ago, I was a 3 hour a night artist.....seriously a red-eye artist, you know, lose track of the time, just completely immersed in my work........

However, now I've just stopped. My creative well is overflowing......but I just cannot seem to get into my work space and work.......is this some kind of subconscious self imposed hiatus that my brain has instigated without my permission?......or is it the piece I have sitting in there that is half done and I've lost 'interest' in it?......I'm one of those people who completes her work....no matter what....or else it meets the burning barrel. Will I ever get back on track???

Has this ever happened to you? I feel like I'm losing precious time (I have a thing about doing as much as possible before dying after watching my dad die young!!! Yeah I know!!)

Horsesdontlie 12-04-2012 01:09 AM

I'll spend a few months drawing or writing, then I'll go somewhere between 6 months to 1 year without doing anything. I just get done with it, typically due to frustration.

When I get back into it I would start with small things, a simple quick drawing every now and then, merely doodles, 20 minutes or so. Then eventually I get more and more details. Or i'll focus on other things, like one body part or more skeletal structure, then got o the whole picture. It always seems to help.

Another thing that helps is getting inspired. Look at other people's art, in and out of your medium of choice. Get a good playlist, listen to the rain, go outside, anything. Just try and feel something.

If you find anything better let me know, cause I would love that secret.

tinyliny 12-06-2012 01:32 PM

I did not draw or paint for YEARS. but, posting stuff here got me back into it. Having commissions that I MUST do helps me to stay focussed on art.

DancingArabian 12-06-2012 01:45 PM

Try changing locations? Maybe the workspace is clogging you. Are you pressuring yourself to complete something or for results? Maybe a change in medium?
Posted via Mobile Device

Zirgo 12-07-2012 04:44 PM

Hi Muppetgirl,

I know how creative block can feel - the majority of creative people go through this phase, and having obligations related to the little ones can easily eat up our time. There are already some good suggestions on how to return your productivity: changing your working space can really alternate your working habits, especially if you work/create and live in the space where the line between an office and a home is blurry.

A thing I would want to mention is the necessity to avoid being hard on yourself - do not pressure your creativity, and remember that it is only a happy soul that comes through. No need to feel bad about possibly feeling a little tired or unfamiliar with the environment, everything takes time to adjust.

From the practical side, you could reawaken your inspiration by trying other kinds of art, maybe? What about using the upcoming holiday season, and creating some unique postcards with the photographs of your artwork? Maybe receiving compliments for a rather simple yet unique and very effective presents will remind you how much your work is appreciated and needed.

Every artist needs time to rest and burn at almost even amounts :), enjoy your weekend!