The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Ridge of hair down a horse's back a breed trait? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/ridge-hair-down-horses-back-breed-145572/)

TheBayArabian 12-04-2012 12:12 PM

Ridge of hair down a horse's back a breed trait?
 
I got a filly a couple months ago from an auction and we have noticed something unique about her coat. Starting at the withers all the way to where her tail bone starts there is a ridge of hair. At first we thought it might be bone and she just needed more fat, but when we felt it, it is not bone it is just hair that kind of sticks up more along that line (?) and won’t be smoothed down. What I was wondering is if this is a characteristic of a breed or maybe something else.

I tried to look around on google but didn't find anything helpful.
We know nothing about her breeding.

TheBayArabian 12-04-2012 12:20 PM

removed photo due to copyright.

OP can post her own photos, ok?.

PunksTank 12-04-2012 12:22 PM

subbing out of curiosity - would love more pictures :) (mostly cause she's adorable :P)

BBBCrone 12-04-2012 01:02 PM

Hey cool. The Equine version of a Rhodesian Ridgeback ;)

Honestly though, I have no idea. More direct picture might be helpful. It looks like a counter shaded dorsal stripe to me and my eyes. Maybe for some reason the texture of hair on that counter shade is different.

TheBayArabian 12-05-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunksTank (Post 1784407)
subbing out of curiosity - would love more pictures :) (mostly cause she's adorable :P)

Thanks :) She is adorable. I can't wait to see how she looks when she is 3yrs old. I will see if I have any more pictures on this comp. I think they are all on my camera still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBCrone (Post 1784460)
Hey cool. The Equine version of a Rhodesian Ridgeback ;)

Honestly though, I have no idea. More direct picture might be helpful. It looks like a counter shaded dorsal stripe to me and my eyes. Maybe for some reason the texture of hair on that counter shade is different.

Haha you are right! When I was trying to look around on google about her stripe the Rhodesian Rdgeback was all I could find. They ae interesting dogs.

It very well could be a counter shaded dorsal stripe. I don't know much about genetics and coloring(expect being able to tell if a horse is a bay, chestnut, etc...). I will go read some on dorsal stripes.

I will see if i can find any better pictures. Someone was asking me if it could have something to do with what breed she was and I had no clue. So I thought I would just post and see what I could find out.

fivecardstudpts 12-07-2012 12:20 PM

I'm not sure it has anything to do with breed. The breeding barn I work at is all Standardbreds. We usually have a few babies every year that have this same thing. Kinda funny looking, but they grow out of it.
Jessica

TheBayArabian 12-31-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fivecardstudpts (Post 1788527)
I'm not sure it has anything to do with breed. The breeding barn I work at is all Standardbreds. We usually have a few babies every year that have this same thing. Kinda funny looking, but they grow out of it.
Jessica

That is interesting. We have been wondering if she has some Standard bred in her just because of the way she walks and trots but we don't know for sure.

I am beginning to think that she will grow out of it though. As she gets her winter coat it is a little less noticeable. I guess I will just have to wait and see.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0