The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Why Is He Not Eating? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/why-he-not-eating-145580/)

RunningWind 12-04-2012 01:13 PM

Why Is He Not Eating?

I have had my horse on an all natural diet for 2 years. I feed him hay cubes, beet pulp, oats, flax, and black oil sun flowers seeds. Recently he has only been picking out the cubes and not eating the rest. I would just give him hay cubes with seeds but I am trying to put wait on him so he needs the beet pulp. He is driving me nuts! He only wants what the other horse it getting but, cannot have it because his food is different. Some tips would be great!

Speed Racer 12-04-2012 01:19 PM

I don't understand how what you're feeding him makes it 'all natural'. Everything you're feeding him has been processed in some way, especially the hay cubes and beet pulp.

In any case, if he's stopped eating maybe it's time for a vet visit. He could have ulcers, sand in his gut, or any number of things that make him reluctant to eat.

PaintHorseMares 12-04-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1784492)
In any case, if he's stopped eating maybe it's time for a vet visit. He could have ulcers, sand in his gut, or any number of things that make him reluctant to eat.

Yup. Not eating (or drinking) is always time for the vet.

ParaIndy 12-04-2012 02:07 PM

Well, what it sounds like to me is he is eating, but just being picky?

Speed Racer 12-04-2012 02:09 PM

Most horses who are picky but need need to gain weight have a reason, Para. Generally it's a physical issue resulting in pain.

ParaIndy 12-04-2012 02:17 PM

That makes sense.

RunningWind 12-05-2012 11:29 AM

Thank you. Maybe I should call the vet. This happened last year it might be a phase.