The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Nightmares (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/nightmares-145595/)

Maple 12-04-2012 03:58 PM

Nightmares

My 5yo girl is struggling lately with nightmares... HELP!! :cry:

I have ordered a dream catcher in the hopes that it'll ease it a bit.. but any other suggestions are very very welcome.

AlexS 12-04-2012 11:23 PM

A friend used to Fabreze the monsters out of all of the closets and corners of the room, under the bed etc before her little one went to sleep.

DancingArabian 12-05-2012 12:50 AM

Maybe find out what her nightmares are and try to figure out something targeting that?
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 12-05-2012 10:54 AM

28 Attachment(s)
Oh, no. I HATE those late night blood curdlers! Hugs for her!
I'm sure you are but reading to DD before bed helped. We also make up funny stories before bed, have her start it, then take turns adding on. We record ours on my phone, pretty funny stuff! Just keep it lighthearted and beautiful, then whatever was best I tell her to dream about it.

Had a friend who's daughter had night terrors, that was rough... Took them years to get her over it. IDK what they did, lots of doctor visits, psych's, they ended up letting her sleep in the bed with them...

Hope she gets over it soon!

Maple 12-05-2012 02:33 PM

The latest one was about a bogeyman, but apparently he was covered in blood and went into her room and then the baby's. She does have a very very active imagination, but I really feel for her and she has had a few accidents in the last week which I think is connected.

I'm going to febreeze her room this evening and see how that goes :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Dusty1228 12-05-2012 02:48 PM

Maybe try getting her one of those bedside noise machines. You know the ones that make crickets & waves & such? I use one & I turn it on right when I get into bed, whether I'm reading or not, so that it relaxes me quite a bit before I'm ready to sleep.

Anyhow, I don't know if it will help at all, but I was just remembering all the times I've had crickets visit my dreams. Of course with your daughters intense imagination, she might morph them into murderous crickets in her sleep.

Or maybe put a nice soothing CD on repeat for her, played real low?

I have a sleep disorder coupled with night terrors, I've tried about everything that would keep me calm IN my sleep, I could suggest a million more things, although honestly, for a child, that Febreeze idea sounds like a total winner to me! I'd have never thought of it!

strawberry paint 12-05-2012 06:36 PM

I have a daughter who's 'spiritually' sensitive and gets nightmares on the odd occasion. Knowing where this comes from...I find that prayer works wonders for her. After I pray for her....she's in total peace and falls asleep right away.

smrobs 12-05-2012 07:30 PM

When I was a kid I had horrible night terrors. The one thing that worked long term was that my Dad explained to me that the scary things are afraid of lights and any sort of light hurts them. Then, he gave me his huge police issue flashlight (it held like 8 "C" batteries) to sleep with. After that, the nightmares came less and less often and even when they did, I'd just turn on that flashlight, point at whatever shadow was scaring me, and all would be well again.

Golden Horse 12-05-2012 07:36 PM

I like the light sabre (torch) option.

Better than this option

Chevaux 12-05-2012 07:51 PM

Just to be safe, why don't you make sure that the house really is secure at night time - doors, windows and any other openings locked and bolted.