The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How do you fix a dangerous, agressive horsee (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-you-fix-dangerous-agressive-145628/)

eliduc 12-04-2012 10:42 PM

How do you fix a dangerous, agressive horsee

A woman whom I had never seen before called and asked me if I could fix her gelding who had the bad habit of charging her. The horse was a beautiful Qtr. gelding with large, wide set eyes. She had made up her mind to sell the horse but said she wanted to do it with a good conscience. I took a young lady friend with me who was a competent horse handler. (This was a long time ago.) There was not an enclosed area to work the horse in. I put it on a longe line and it knew how to longe. I longed it for ten minutes and the horse didn't do anything. I asked my friend if she wanted to lunge the horse. It went around about three times at the canter and then attacked her from twenty feet away so fast she barely had time to get her arm in front of her face. The horse knocked her down to a squat. We had a stud chain on the horse and she began banging him back with the line. She had a cut on her forehead where the horse's teeth had made contact. Why was this horse aggressive and what would you do? I'm not asking for advice. I know why the horse was aggressive and what I did but what would you do?

Charley horse 12-04-2012 10:57 PM

I'd move his feet and not give him a chance to charge me...And if he did he would get a couple good WHACKS.

Calming Melody 12-04-2012 10:57 PM

Hmmmm....I am just assuming that you are male and going to go on a guess that maybe it's a "man's" horse lol .....But it sounds like a pretty dangerous situation ...does it have a past like what it a rescue or something ? Maybe it has a history of abuse ?

Charley horse 12-04-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley horse (Post 1785147)
I'd move his feet and not give him a chance to charge me...And if he did he would get a couple good WHACKS.

I am a Clinton Anderson fan:)

Makoda 12-05-2012 12:52 AM

Personally I'd put it down. Too many good horses to mess with ones like this. Not just saying it either I have worked with them. Horses like this need someone who is very experienced to handle them, but anyone with experience knows that a horse like this isn't worth the time.

It will just hurt somebody or something

I worked one like this for a lady. Got the horse doing really well. She sold it and it happened again later on, ever since then I felt like my work with that horse just led to someone else getting hurt. Sure I handled it fine but then people thought I had changed it and got too relaxed around it and it happened again. So I say kill it before it kills someone else. Those horses do have a purpose in life, they make good dog food.

DancingArabian 12-05-2012 01:07 AM

I would have chased him in circles around me so hard and so fast people would think he was trying to carve a moat. I'm also a CA fan :) this horse chose the "firm as necessary" route.

In my experience, horses never suddenly charge. There's always some kind of "tell" that they're plotting something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunderspark 12-05-2012 01:48 AM

WOW I have never seen a horse behave like that but I sure wouldn't want to be the one in the pen with it!
I'm also a Clinton Anderson fan!

Elana 12-05-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliduc (Post 1785129)
I'm not asking for advice. I know why the horse was aggressive and what I did but what would you do?

What would I do? Not give advice (since you are not asking) OR state what I would do with such a horse.

Certainly not on an internet forum w/o being there and seeing the horse.

goneriding 12-05-2012 11:09 AM

You asked why he was aggressive then you said you know why he was aggressive. Could you explain? Makes me wonder what his past life was like. Or he could just be mentality off from birth. Either way, I love horses but I would put him down. That would be the right thing to do.

BlueSpark 12-05-2012 11:09 AM

any horse that charges someone, bites them and knocks them to the ground should be put down. if it was a pit bull instead of a horse that did the exact same thing(charged, knocked down and drew blood) it would be put down, or VERY carefully managed.

if its an experienced trainer who wants to take this horse on permanenntly, fine. otherwise putting the horse down will protect people(how awful would it be to have a kid slip into the pasture to feed "the horsey" when no one is around and get killed?), and also will protect him. Its very possible that someone will get this kind of horse and try to beat the agressive out of him.