The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Looking for good information on purchasing my first horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/looking-good-information-purchasing-my-first-145632/)

Aaldari 12-04-2012 10:43 PM

Looking for good information on purchasing my first horse!

Hi,

I am currently volunteering at a local farm in trade of horseback riding lessons. I'm going to purchase my own horse for lessons and because I want that riding bond :D However, to be perfectly honest you'd probably consider me brand new to everything horse related.

So I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to let me know what the average cost for a fairly trained horse for a beginner like myself would be? I am on a tightish budget ;] and I would of course have my trainer help me with everything to make sure that the horse is properly taken care of.

Also interested in knowing whether I should wait until I have my own land (few years from now) or what your opinions are to stabling a horse or putting it into a pasture? In your own opinion is that selfish to have a horse in a stable?

I'm also interested in what breeds are best suited for beginners and on an average, how much is it to care for a horse monthly?

Any other thoughts and opinions and tips would be welcome since it's going to be my first horse.

I could of course Google all of this, but I figured that I'd get more informative information from experienced riders/buyers.

Thanks again!!!

Aaldari

Aaldari 12-04-2012 10:45 PM

I forgot to mention that I wish to go on trails and ride the horse on the farm. I'm not interested in competition at the moment!

SimpleEventer 12-05-2012 09:15 AM

are you going to ride English or western? Are you looking for a longer term bond or would you be fine with 5-7 years? are you ever going to be interested in competing? If so what might you want to do?
Posted via Mobile Device

Conway 12-05-2012 09:34 AM

The big go or no go for me is if the person selling the horse is willing to lease it to me for one or two weeks. That way we have plenty of time to see the horse under many conditions and have the vet out to look him over. Some will let you take them for a trial for free but its always kind to offer a lease with money instead, plus keeps you both safe legally.

Aaldari 12-05-2012 11:12 PM

I'm riding English, I never plan on competing and as far as a bond I'd love the longer the better but I was look for between my price range which is free-3000.

Aaldari 12-05-2012 11:13 PM

Great tip with the lease- I was definitely going to have my trainer come with me once I find a horse I like to check everything out because there will be things she'll understand that I don't. But this is another interesting idea! Thanks

Conway 12-05-2012 11:27 PM

I live in South MS. Finding a GOOD horse for FREE is definitely not out of the question right now... More than likely the expense will be in getting their weight up, vaccines UTD, and hooves in shape... But there are people GIVING good, gentle, broke horses away down here every day.

SimpleEventer 12-06-2012 07:03 AM

I would look at craigslist. See if you can find a horse 8-14 that is already broke, I would go with something smaller than 15.2 and not tb, arab or draft. I would definitely look at quarter Horses and crosses, but whatever breed you get I would do some research on it just to make sure the breed doesn't have any common health problems that the one you are buying might have. I would also definitely get one that does have some resale value (not just you would buy it), and is not too old, that way if something happens or it doesn't work out you are not stuck with it and can give it a new, good home.
And before buying I would definitely go with the lease thing or at the very least go and visit the horse A LOT if possible, that way you do get to see the horse in different conditions and do get to see if there is a possibility of a true bond forming.
As far as cost monthly:
It really depends on how you are going to go about it. I Work off some of my board which would normally be $350. The facility includes an indoor and my horse has a stall with runout. The better facility the more cost. But that goes without saying. I would look in your area and see what board costs and if there is any way you can work some of it off. Do not rule out the more expensive barns! You might get the chance (like me) to work there and then your boars is less than the lower key barns.
As far as other costs go:
My farrier bill is $35 about every 4-6 weeks.
My vet bill is about $100 every year (for shots)(my horse doesn't have health problems)
Then you have more like chiropractic, massages, random vet bills, trailering if you want to go somewhere, And cost of anything your horse damages. Supplements if your horse needs them, and grain if your barn does not supply it or the right grain, salt block if your barn does not supply it. (I may have missed a couple things.)

cost of tack you will need: saddle. Bridle, girth, helmet, boots (2 for you, 4 for your horse), bits (I would get one in addition to the one the horse is used to), lunge whip and line, medical supplies (you can buy an equine first aid kit or just google whats in one and buy), brushes, I would get some liniment, and there is more but I'm a little brain dead atm sorry! Hope this helps!
Posted via Mobile Device

Aaldari 12-06-2012 08:59 PM

Thank you all for you insight! It'll take me some time until I find the perfect horse for me but I'll post pictures when I do! =]