The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Teaching my horse to jump? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/teaching-my-horse-jump-145651/)

hannahwdel2101 12-05-2012 07:50 AM

Teaching my horse to jump?

So my horse was trained to be a hunter jumper and can jump up to 3ft. The problem is when he was trained he wasnt disciplined when he rushed so now when i bought him he just rushes everything and then get pissed and wont stop when i ask. What should i do? We've tried harsher and softer bits, different martingales, lunging before, EVERYTHING!!!

Saranda 12-05-2012 08:09 AM

Try a trainer. I hear they do miracles, if you find a good one.

DancingArabian 12-05-2012 08:44 AM

Agreed. Eyes on the ground are always good. It can sometimes be challenging on timing a correction and having someone else watching helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

wetrain17 12-05-2012 08:52 AM

It's what you do before and after the jump that will make a difference, not the equipment you use. If you dont have experience with a "rusher" I would consult with a trainer in your area. It can turn into a dangerous situation if you dont know how to react and what to react to. Timing is everything.

goingnowhere1 12-06-2012 07:26 AM

The pony I leased a few months ago had the same issue, but instead of his old owner she smacked on a kimberwick and he was better... Still rushed, but certainly not as much.
When I started with him, I immediately started doing ground poles (just trotting) till I could get him to stop in the middle, before, and after the poles. Then I picked up a canter and repeated that same step. When we jumped, I put up a very small (about 6 inch crossrail) and we trotted over it. At first I halted before it, and once he stopped prancing we went over it, and we also halted after.
After a few months of doing that, he was doing MUCH better. My tips for you is to do the exercises above, and DON'T go bigger or faster till he's doing a western pleasure jog over them. And please don't put on a harsher bit, all that will do is BLOCK the speed, not contain and put it elsewhere. Good luck!

SkyeMac 12-10-2012 11:20 AM

I trained and evented with a rushy horse and when I went to a clinic she gave me some really good exercises for a rushy horse. It's very similar to what other people have suggested.

The first and easier is to set up a combination, two or three strides depending on what you prefer. An x or a small vertical works fine, if you feel confidant going bigger than go for it. Keep it on a straight line, ride straight after and stop. If he won't stop for you than continue to the wall and stop at the wall, he will stop just don't let him turn. Keep doing it until he gets the point that he's supposed to stop after the jumps, then go in the other direction with the same exercise. It will get him listening to you, and should help the rushing after.

The next excercise she taught me had the combination and some canter poles on the short wall (pic attached to show them). Keep the jumps small enough that he can do them from a walk, and the canter poles should be 4-8 strides from the second jump. Start by cantering the first jump, break to trot between the first and second, and walk over the poles after. Then try to walk the first jump, trot the second, canter the poles. Keep switching up which gait you go over which section and keep him guessing. It should keep him thinking and get him a bit more responsive.

How the canter poles should be set up
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...52514760_n.jpg