The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   college jumper teams... do they even exist?!? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/college-jumper-teams-do-they-even-145660/)

SunnysMum 12-05-2012 10:28 AM

college jumper teams... do they even exist?!?

I am riding competetivley on the jumper circuit and really want to find a college that has an equestrian team for jumpers! All of the ones I have found only have hunter or western teams, but I really want to find a competitive team that shows in the jumpers. I don't want to have to switch diciplines just so I can ride on a college team :?.

Any colleges that you guys know of?

Zeke 12-05-2012 10:32 AM

I don't know too much about it but I know University of California in San Diego (UCSD) has a jumper team, or at least used to. Sorry that's not too much help except to say, yes, they exist :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Fulford15 12-05-2012 11:02 AM

Yes they do! I know the University Of Victoria has one... I am sure if you had enough participation for one and support of your school that you can create a team.

DancingArabian 12-05-2012 11:28 AM

Yes some do. Around me some middle schools even have equestrian teams. Try googling college equestrian team.

Remember though that a team is temporary and to consider your major first. Your education will last behind he four years.
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnysMum 12-05-2012 12:54 PM

Thank you! I looked into UCSD and they only have the IHSA team, which is hunters and western now :( will look into University of Victoria! However, is it in Canada..? I was hoping to stay in the US at least for college :/

Jake and Dai 12-05-2012 12:56 PM

Centenary College in Hackettstown, NJ has a Hunter/Jumper team (amongst others). Not sure this is exactly what you were looking for but here is a link...

Centenary College: *Hunter/Jumper

Fulford15 12-05-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnysMum (Post 1785769)
Thank you! I looked into UCSD and they only have the IHSA team, which is hunters and western now :( will look into University of Victoria! However, is it in Canada..? I was hoping to stay in the US at least for college :/

Yes it is... sorry, I don't know any in the states, I know their team shows in the states though (Oregon, Washington, California, etc)

countercanter 12-05-2012 09:51 PM

I don't know of any schools that have a strictly jumper team. But IHSA isn't really hunters, its all equitation based and can be quite challenging. You get the chance to travel, ride many different horses, etc. It really makes you an adjustable rider. Many Olympians rode IHSA when they were in school. Beezie Madden won the Cashione cup when she was in school.

upnover 12-06-2012 02:32 PM

what countercanter said.

a lot of the people on the team where I went to school did a lot of jumpers but switched to mainly eq when they rode in college. our school also did a lot of rated and schooling shows in the area on top of the IHSA shows where they were able to show in hunters and jumpers also.

countercanter 12-06-2012 04:19 PM

We have quite a few people on the team that are very competitive in the jumper ring, at the higher levels (two of them have done a few small grand prixs), that had no problem doing the IHSA. And the barn where the team practices is an active show barn so they were still able to do the jumpers when they weren't doing IHSA.