The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Strapping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/strapping-145714/)

LeafOnTheWind 12-05-2012 07:57 PM

Strapping

Does anybody here use the strapping method on their horse? I don't mean just the banging part but the whole shebang.
If you do, what it your routine? How long does it generally take? Perhaps you could post some pictures of your horse :D
Oh and, as far as the banging, if you do that do you see an improvement in the muscles? I want to start strapping my mare as I have seen pictures of some horses groomed using this method and they are so shiny but I am not sure where to start. Any input appreciated :D

Lwhisperer 12-06-2012 02:11 AM

Subbing... Could someone please explain the process of strapping as well? I've only heard it mentioned a couple of times and really don't know exactly what the term means! Thanks!

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-06-2012 02:29 AM

OutOfTheLoop 12-06-2012 11:44 AM

Wth
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 12-06-2012 11:48 AM

I think that the effort made to teach your horse to submit to this would be better used lunging or riding. Just me. I also, don't like the idea of bruising my horses for better muscle tone.

Reno Bay 12-06-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 1787175)
I think that the effort made to teach your horse to submit to this would be better used lunging or riding. Just me. I also, don't like the idea of bruising my horses for better muscle tone.

If you're bruising your horse, you're banging too hard on it. Proper strapping isn't supposed to be done in a fashion that harms the animal by way of bruising it.

Saddlebag 12-06-2012 02:23 PM

It is supposed to be a means of stimulating circulation to the skin. Grooming with a rubber curry in a circular fashion on all the soft tissue does the same thing. So does the next step, brushing with a stiffer brush followed by a softer one. Two little girls groomed their pony as I had taught them and even tho it was on pasture 24/7 you should have seen the shine. They worked hard at this for 10 days and we heard numerous wonderful comments on the pony's coat.

LeafOnTheWind 12-06-2012 04:04 PM

I don't just mean the part highlighted in the video. Strapping also involves a very thorough grooming process. That is what I was asking about routine for. As far as the part highlighted in the video, from what I have read it should not harm your horse done properly. Plus my mare is very much the dull type so I know she wouldn't need to learn to submit or be skittish, and think I was beating her. As far as I know it's not supposed to build muscle, but tone muscle. Since it is wintertime I thought it might help since she is in less work. I just wanted to know if people see results from it as I am a bit skeptical that it would work.

Almond Joy 12-06-2012 04:05 PM

If I punch my horse in the face will it get prettier? After all, hitting their muscles makes them more muscular :P

Reno Bay 12-06-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almond Joy (Post 1787519)
If I punch my horse in the face will it get prettier? After all, hitting their muscles makes them more muscular :P

No...but it might build facial muscles XD
Completely joking, of course.