The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   A few genetics questions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/few-genetics-questions-145716/)

Kilokitty 12-05-2012 08:10 PM

A few genetics questions?

I've recently gotten into genetics, so I want to try it out for fun. A couple of short questions for you guys?

(This actually happened to my friend, lol. Loose studs!)
Homozygous bay + ______ = Buckskin?

(Now some just for fun :P)

Homozygous black + Heterozygous chestnut ( Chestnut + palomino) = ________?

Heterozygous grey ( Gray and bay)+ Heterozygous red dun ( Dun + Chestnut)= ________?

Homozygous bay+ __________ = Palomino?

Homozygous chestnut tobiano+ ________ = Heterozygous bay overo?

Hahaha, I love this! Just a few color questions my professor couldn't even answer!

Chiilaa 12-05-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilokitty (Post 1786369)
I've recently gotten into genetics, so I want to try it out for fun. A couple of short questions for you guys?

Homozygous bay + Has to be something with a cream gene, but since we already have black and agouti coming from the bay, it could be any of them, so here goes: smoky black, brown based buckskin, buckskin, palomino, smoky cream, perlino, brown based perlino, or cremello. = Buckskin?

Homozygous black + Heterozygous chestnut ( Chestnut + palomino) = ________? What are you implying with the (chestnut + palomino) here? What is the chestnut heterozygous for?

Heterozygous grey ( Gray and bay)+ Heterozygous red dun ( Dun + Chestnut)= ________? Again, what is the red dun heterozygous for?

Homozygous bay+ __________ = Palomino? Again, without more information, it could be anything with a cream dilute: smoky black, brown based buckskin, buckskin, palomino, smoky cream, perlino, brown based perlino, or cremello.

Homozygous chestnut tobiano+ ________ = Heterozygous bay overo? Again, homozygous for what? Which overo gene?

Hahaha, I love this! Just a few color questions my professor couldn't even answer!

My answers are in red.

Nokotaheaven 12-05-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilokitty (Post 1786369)

Homozygous bay + ______ = Buckskin?

Homozygous black + Heterozygous chestnut ( Chestnut + palomino) = ________?

Heterozygous grey ( Gray and bay)+ Heterozygous red dun ( Dun + Chestnut)= ________?

Homozygous bay+ __________ = Palomino?

Homozygous chestnut tobiano+ ________ = Heterozygous bay overo?

There is no deffinite answer for each, it's like one sister having black hair whilt the other has brown..
But my answers:
1. chestnut, palomino
2. smokey black, bay, buckskin
3. chestnut, bay, dun, bay dun, all of these with 50/50 of being grey
4. cremello
5. chestnut tobiano, chestnut overo, chestnut tovero, bay tobiano, bay overo, bay tovero

I could be wrong, but that's my guesses

Nokotaheaven 12-05-2012 08:25 PM

meant to also say red dun on #3

Reno Bay 12-05-2012 08:28 PM

1. ANY bay + cream (once) = buckskin. Doesn't matter if the bay is homozygous for agouti or heterozygous. AA + cream = buckskin. Aa + cream = buckskin.

2. EE + ee = black, bay, or brown (depending on the chetnut's agouti status). The parentage of the chestnut doesn't matter in the slightest.

3. Grey with a base coat of bay, bay dun, red dun, chestnut, grullo, or black.

4. Any double diluted cream (cremello, perlino, or smoky cream).

5. Black/bay sabino/splash/frame. This one makes absolutely no sense. If the tobiano is homozygous, all of its foals will be tobiano. And what kind of overo foal are we talking about? Frame, sabino, or splash? Combination of multiple? All three? The foal will be a bay tobiano frame/splash/sabino...

Kilokitty 12-05-2012 08:51 PM

Apparently I didn't I didn't know as much about genetics as I though! I thought I had put tobiano instead of overo, but I guess not... Oh well :P

Poseidon 12-05-2012 09:44 PM

That still doesn't answer what you mean by different zygosities. Heterozygous chestnut? What is the chestnut heterozygous for? Because sorrels/chestnuts are homozygous red. And if you mean that the parents of the chestnut are a chestnut and palomino by the parentheses, it still means it's homozygous red because palomino is red-based, being chestnut + cream.

And homozygous bay? Do you mean homozygous black or homozygous agouti? Or both?

verona1016 12-05-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 1786532)
That still doesn't answer what you mean by different zygosities. Heterozygous chestnut? What is the chestnut heterozygous for? Because sorrels/chestnuts are homozygous red. And if you mean that the parents of the chestnut are a chestnut and palomino by the parentheses, it still means it's homozygous red because palomino is red-based, being chestnut + cream.

And homozygous bay? Do you mean homozygous black or homozygous agouti? Or both?

^^ Exactly my feelings

Kilokitty 12-06-2012 04:07 PM

..Woops. Lol, I meant heterozygous as in only one parent was a chestnut, the other was palomino.

Homozygous as both parents were bay. I didn't know horse genetics were so confusing! What exactly is this "agouti" gene?

NdAppy 12-06-2012 04:21 PM

Agouti is what causes a black based horse to be bay or brown. It restricts the black to the "points" of the horse.

The chestnut is homozygous for red no matter that the sire was palomino. Does not carry cream and the agouti status is unknown as agouti does not do anything on a red base.