The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   How to register my Arab? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/how-register-my-arab-145738/)

ForeverArabians 12-05-2012 11:03 PM

How to register my Arab?

Hi. I have a 15-year-old Arab, which I realize is really old to register a horse, but I only got her last year, so it's not like I could've done it sooner. The reason I want to register her is she is probably pregnant, and if so, I want to register her foal. We just now started to suspect she's pregnant, thinking she was just fat and with an irregular heat cycle before. Having looked into it, we're almost certain she is now. Anyway, the foal should be due this month (December, YIKES). Anyway, I could probably find out who the sire and dam are, but looking back, buying her was a hazy deal (if she's pregnant, that explains it lol), and the owner didn't know much about her, but she could get us info if we wanted it. Is there any way to register her with just a blood test because we do know she's 100% Arab? Thanks!

nikelodeon79 12-05-2012 11:38 PM

I believe you need to know who the sire and dam are and perhaps DNA test to verify.

It's all moot, though, because unless you know the sire of the foal, you won't be able to register it, anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poco1220 12-05-2012 11:51 PM

If the mate gets registered the foal is automatically eligible for half Arab registry.
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 12-06-2012 12:26 AM

For registering her you need paperwork from her breeder, her parents need to be registered with the AHA, and it'll be, provided you have all necessary paperwork together, 375$
Her foal could then be registered half Arabian.

pony gal 12-06-2012 01:07 AM

Welcome to Arabian Horses.org

SunnyDraco 12-06-2012 10:39 AM

Has a vet checked her? Anyway, to register her, you need all paperwork on her, her sire and dam must be registered, and it is expensive to register an older horse. Also, you will need the signatures of the original owner and pay the transfer fees as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

ForeverArabians 12-06-2012 01:37 PM

Thanks, everyone:) Registering her will likely be a long process, for sure, but I think I'll be able to get the info for it somehow. Sunnydraco, she hasn't, but since it was just a couple weeks before we'd know for sure by the time we were convinced she probably is, we just decided to wait and see.

deserthorsewoman 12-06-2012 01:53 PM

As sunnydraco and I stated, you need to get the breeders to sign the paperwork, IF her parents are registered with AHA. The cost for registering an Arabian 2 years or older is 375$, no way around.
If I were you, I'd start researching now, to have everything lined up in case she does have a foal. That way you can register the foal without having to pay an arm and a leg, since registering gets more expensive the older the horse is. And don't expect things go smoothly even if you find the breeder( my experience ).

ForeverArabians 12-06-2012 05:38 PM

Deserthorsewoman, yikes, that's a lot, but I'll start researching now so if or when she does have a foal. The cheaper I can register the foal, the better :)