The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Dyna Hoof and Nutrena Empower Balance together (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/dyna-hoof-nutrena-empower-balance-together-145747/)

Oldhorselady 12-06-2012 12:56 AM

Dyna Hoof and Nutrena Empower Balance together

I am going to try a hoof product called Dyna Hoof as recommended by my farrrier.

https://www.dynamitemarketing.com/Or...ispSubCatID=32

My mare currently gets about a pound a day of the Nutrena Empower Balance ration balancer.

Empower Balance Ration Balancer Horse Feed by Nutrena

She gets bermuda/alfalfa in the morning and all bermuda at night. She gets no grain or any other supplements.

I want to be sure before I start the Dyna Hoof that it won't be overkill with the Nutrena together. Thanks so much.

Oldhorselady 12-06-2012 12:59 AM

Also, the Dyna Hoof says it is to be used with the Dynamite......not sure about all this stuff or what to do/feed now.:shock:

Lockwood 12-06-2012 09:21 AM

I don't know if this will be helpful to know, but I also feed Nutrena Empower Balancer (12 oz daily, no other grains at all) and I use Horseshoer's Secret-
Farnam - Your partner in horse care#

I use this supp. over others because my boy needed the elevated copper and zinc levels without extra iron (we already have too much in our soils and water supply.)
Upon quick glance it seems similar to your supp. My boy gets limited grazing and is also fed a grass hay (Orchard/Blue Grass/Timothy) but no alfalfa.
About a month or two ago, I joined FeedXL FeedXL Horse Nutrition: The D.I.Y. equine diet planner
to analyze his diet and he scored perfectly, even with the extra supp. added.

When I bought my boy a year ago and he had always been shod, but we have made an almost complete transition over to barefoot now. He has almost a whole new hoof grown out, but still has the feed/supp change lines at the bottom of his hooves. Two more trims and they will be gone, ....and his hooves are beautiful!

Saddlebag 12-06-2012 09:37 AM

I get a kick out of the name Ration Balancer. How could a feed company know the vitamin/mineral breakdown of hay which is different in each district, even each grower, that their feed will balance this. If you wish to add a hoof supplement to the equation you will have to do some label reading and make comparison's. Even trace minerals can be overdone.

Lockwood 12-06-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1786930)
I get a kick out of the name Ration Balancer. How could a feed company know the vitamin/mineral breakdown of hay which is different in each district, even each grower, that their feed will balance this. If you wish to add a hoof supplement to the equation you will have to do some label reading and make comparison's. Even trace minerals can be overdone.

True enough thinking....

While it is super easy for a horse owner to get a forage, hay, soil, and water analysis done on their own farm, many forages/hays are very similar. Grass hays are grass hays and alfalfa hays are different.
Kinda like an apple is an apple is an apple, but it is not a peach.

Entire businesses are devoted solely to analyzing grasses, forages, soils, and waters from all over the country as well as the world. What stuff (soil content, minerals, forage uptake concentrations) is actually very well known, so structure, content, and TDNs are also well known on all the different hay and grass types out there.
Weather patterns don’t affect these as much as soil contents, so unless a hay farmer does something radical to his soils, things usually stay on the same plain and change slowly.
(And, any hay farmer worth his salt knows how not to harm his hay fields and end product.)

Ration balancers can be one component/approach of a good well rounded diet.
Many of them come in “for grass forages” and “for alfalfa forages” to account for the big differences between the two. (FYI, calcium content is a huge difference between grass hays and alfalfa hay.)

For example, in order for my horse to get “adequate nutrition” on a typical feed/grain, he would need between 3 to 6, maybe even 8 pounds a day.
He is a RMH and they are well known for being super easy keepers. Their nicknames are “air ferns.”
All my boy has to do is look at a bag of feed and he gains weight! Not only that, he also does much better on a low sugar/starch diet since he utilizes what he does get very well.
(And we like each other MUCH better without all the sugars too!)

Ok, so feed less grains and supp more...…. Well, I know I am selenium and copper deficient here, but way over in iron and some other things. Most vitamin mineral supps are not calibrated to the various parts of the country the way they are for ruminant nutrition (where these things make a much bigger difference like the calcium mentioned above. It is detrimental for ruminants to not get enough of calcium) so I‘m kinda stuck here trying to balance his needs.

For us, a ration balancer is the answer. Not necessarily because I’m trying to balance all these different things in his diet per say, but because it offers the same things, and them some, that a complete feed does in much smaller amounts, so… it is perfect for us. :D

deserthorsewoman 12-06-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldhorselady (Post 1786743)
Also, the Dyna Hoof says it is to be used with the Dynamite......not sure about all this stuff or what to do/feed now.:shock:

Of course it says that....they want to sell their products.
I personally am a strong believer in proper nutrition makes for good hoof quality. I never had to use a hoof supplement, not even for my last TB who had really crappy hooves. His new growth was much stronger only with his diet and turnout.

The above mentioned FeedXL would be a good idea to see where you're at.
I do give Omega Horseshine, I figure if it makes coat and skin quality so much better, it definitely has an influence on hooves, too.

Oldhorselady 12-06-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 1787034)
Of course it says that....they want to sell their products.
I personally am a strong believer in proper nutrition makes for good hoof quality. I never had to use a hoof supplement, not even for my last TB who had really crappy hooves. His new growth was much stronger only with his diet and turnout.

The above mentioned FeedXL would be a good idea to see where you're at.
I do give Omega Horseshine, I figure if it makes coat and skin quality so much better, it definitely has an influence on hooves, too.

Ugh...and I just brought eight bags of Nutrena with me since it was so hard to get a hold of.

deserthorsewoman 12-06-2012 11:56 AM

I hear you....can't even find it around here.
So, why exactly are you supposed to supplement?
Most farriers have "their" supplement, "their"hoof oil/grease.
Like I said, overall good nutrition should be enough. And, btw, I don't use any topicals at all, only water, when needed;-)

Oldhorselady 12-06-2012 11:57 AM

Ok, just jointed FeedXL...wish me luck!

verona1016 12-06-2012 01:02 PM

I agree that quality hoof growth comes from balanced nutrition, but there's at least one study that found that some horses grow better quality hoof wall when supplemented with higher levels of biotin, even though their blood levels of biotin are in the normal range. (You can read the whole article here) So, I believe there can be benefits to feeding a biotin supplement to certain horses, but you should feed at least 15 mg daily to get the full benefit, and you have to keep doing it as new growth will "revert" back to poor quality when the supplement is stopped.

I'm not a big fan of Dynamite products in general. I bought a bag of their Dynamite vit/min supplement last year when I took a horse on trial and I wanted to keep her on the same diet at least through the trial period in case she went back (good thing, too, because she did!) It was a pain to buy, since you can only order online, and you have to enter in your local representative's name. Since I didn't know any local reps, I had to e-mail the company, and they e-mailed me the name of the local rep, which I entered in the order form even though I had never spoken to this person at all :rolleyes: As soon as I ran out of that supplement, I put my horse on Triple Crown 30% Supplement and his hooves, which had barely been growing before, actually started to grow!

Later, when I got a FeedXL account, I compared his diet on TC30 to what it had been on Dynamite, and he was WAY low on things like copper, zinc, etc. on Dynamite. For as hard to get and as expensive as it was, I thought I was getting a quality, well-balanced product, but not so!

I don't think Dyna Hoof will in any way oversupplement your horse, but you could probably find a supplement with higher content of biotin for a more reasonable price.