The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Aw Poop! (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/aw-poop-145752/)

Smokum 12-06-2012 01:24 AM

Aw Poop!

My miniature is just only 7 months old.
She is the cleanest little girl and very neat in her stall. Poops right along the wall and pees in the back. Heck I have owned her for 2 months and she is still on the same bag of shavings!

My problem.. Her poop balls are so small I have resorted to plastic bag and gloves to pick her piles up. The little balls dont stay in the pitch fork!!

Is there a smaller sized fork for mini poop? Or Am I stuck with a baggie and gloves?

:idea:

Kayella 12-06-2012 01:33 AM

You could line the pitch fork with some goat wire or something with smalller holes. It would allow your your shavings through but sift anything that won't fit through the holes.
Posted via Mobile Device

FeatheredFeet 12-06-2012 10:24 AM

You can buy pitch forks with small tines, especially made for Minis etc.

Lizzie

jaydee 12-06-2012 10:39 AM

I use one of these - always had them in the UK - great for poo picking paddocks and menages as well as in the stable.
You can use the 'scraper' thingy or pile it in by hand wearing rubber gloves
Not sure if this link will work but they are now available in the US through Shires Equestrian and called a Manure Scoop Set
Manure Scoop Set

Smokum 12-06-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Kayella
Brilliant! I have a broken pitch fork and its going back to work. I will try and see what I have for mesh wire around here.
probably just chicken coop but that can layer. What a fantastic Idea!

My local TSC doesn't carry mini horse anything so Im limited :/
Unless I order it off line and I hate buying things I dont know or havent used it before.

HorseCrazyTeen 12-07-2012 03:31 AM

Ha ha! My TWH poops right along the wall, too. In fact, she has gotten so picky about having it nice and neat right by the wall that now she is pooping *on* the wall. And in the stall bars. I go to her stall to find that I have to pick her poo out of the bars and scrape it off the wall. :neutral: And she has all of her piles stacked on top of each other,too, so that it's major heavy to clean up...blech.

That's what I get for having a tidy horse, huh?

The Manure Scoop Set is a great idea; I'm sure that using the Manure Scoop is lot easier than using an actual mini scoop because the ones meant for minis are very tiny. We had the same problem and randomly found a really big scoop with very small spaces. It's works great for scooping out the minis' pen because it holds a lot.

Gypsybell 12-07-2012 08:36 AM

I have a wire scoop that I use for picking up after my dogs. It is designed to lift the poo out of the grass, so it would sift through shavings too. It isn't built like a pitchfork, but would be a good second choice in a pinch.