The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Need advice for an unruly goat (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/need-advice-unruly-goat-145763/)

Conway 12-06-2012 09:18 AM

Need advice for an unruly goat

My cousin shows goats, I used to show when I was still young enough to do so. I go help him once or twice a week, work on showmanship, work goats, etc.

We have one goat that we have worked with for months now and she is NOT broke to lead. You CAN set her up and work her for the judge just fine but she will NOT NOT NOT walk properly and it is making us look bad, and hurting how she places in the class since the judge can't see how she moves. She is a very nicely built goat and manages to place high, but would do so much better if she would WALK.

I have tried everything, loving on her like a pet, luring her with treats, tough guy, nice guy, pressure and release, different collars and tried a lamb halter... She just won't walk.

IF we get lucky she will follow a goat into the ring but then as predicted she throws a hissy fit and falls out...

I am up for any ideas anyone has.

Catpeedontherug 12-06-2012 09:40 AM

I, too, have a misfit goat, but I don't show, so I'm not much help~ but, I feel your pain!!!
They're such stubborn and creative little beasts that I simply adore!

averylilly 01-13-2013 08:14 PM

A halter? I had a goat that would rather being eating alive than walk when i asked. Sooo i tryed a halter and it helped.But she was always kinda a brat so that did not help at al l lol. I know you do not show in a halter but you could try it to just get it threw her head that you walk when i do. Any way good luck!

Conway 01-13-2013 08:19 PM

Tried a halter. Still nowhere with this goat.

Catpeedontherug 01-13-2013 08:24 PM

pinch collar?

Muppetgirl 01-13-2013 08:42 PM

Have you tried a butt rope?