The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   what breeding do you think my boy has? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/what-breeding-do-you-think-my-145768/)

midnight dream 12-06-2012 10:29 AM

what breeding do you think my boy has?

1 Attachment(s)
hi iv recently bought this gorgeous boy in the last 2 months im pretty sure there is welsh cob in him but he is very chunky to be a full welsh cob his papers say unknown breeding hope someone can help me :)

midnight dream 12-07-2012 03:39 AM

anyone ?

Chiilaa 12-07-2012 03:50 AM

It would be helpful to know what country you are located in. However, just assuming from the photo, I am going to guess Ireland?

FeatheredFeet 12-07-2012 04:00 AM

We need a better conformation picture of him to make a guess.

Lizzie

midnight dream 12-07-2012 05:42 AM

oh sorry im allocated in wales, and i thought it may be an issue ill try and get a new one of him of his conformation sorry :(

midnight dream 12-10-2012 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi its been a couple of days and only now iv been able to take a new picture wasnt able to get a decent one because it was quite windy but here it is anyway.

MsBHavin 12-13-2012 11:42 PM

maybe welsh/vanner?

FeatheredFeet 12-13-2012 11:52 PM

Could be anything really. So many different types in Wales. However, he might have some Gypsy Cob in his background.

I doubt 'Vanner', since that is just a name coined by an American who made up the name to suit his new Gypsy 'Vanner' registry. The majority of Gypsy owners across the world, do NOT call their horses 'vanners'. It was an old name, describing anything which pulled a 'van' - ie. a cart of some kind. Unless a horse is registered in the vanner registry, they are not called by that name.

Lizzie

MsBHavin 12-13-2012 11:56 PM

I did not say 'gypsy'. I know what vanner means, a drafty type horse who could pull a heavy caravan. I did not limit this horse to being of the gypsy sort.I was always taught that a 'vanner' refers to a type of horse: a stout, short-legged riding-horse

FeatheredFeet 12-14-2012 12:09 AM

A 'vanner' is any breed, which in the old days, pulled any type of cart or wagon. ie. delivery carts. They could be from light pony types, to very heavy draft breeds. Delivery carts were called 'vans' - hence the vanner names. Those who drove the carts, were also known as vanners.

In the old days in London, they even had 'Vanner baths', where those who drove carts, could wash their horses at the end of the day's work.

The Gypsy breeders in the UK, do not approve of the name.

Lizzie