The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Yay, new project! (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/yay-new-project-145783/)

SlideStop 12-06-2012 01:01 PM

Yay, new project!

I think I found myself a new project!! :)

She is a 5 (I believe) year old sorrel QH mare. I'm pretty sure she is by Smart Like Juice, I have to check out her papers. She is for sale but has been at our barn doing much of nothing really. A friend of my boss's gave the horse to her because her horse went lame and won't ever be rideable. The story goes that she was sold for $15,000 as a yearling. Well she turned out not to be futurity reining material so she got pushed to the side. Then my boss bought her for the rock bottom price of $2,500. She sat around since my boss has always swamped with work and I think the loss of her mare has been a lot. Another girl at the barn was riding her english and started her over some cross rails. That girl has left and doesn't have time for her.

After the first ride I love her! She moves nicely off the legs, has a very soft mouth and dosen't feel like "to much horse". She needs a brush up on her neck reining and her lope certainly needs work. I was quite impressed she had a nice little stop still and from what I could tell she seemed to remember her spins. All and all she seems like a sweet girl and a pleasure to be around.

http://www.horseforum.com/members/29...0366-35127.jpg

http://www.horseforum.com/members/29...0367-35126.jpg

MHFoundation Quarters 12-06-2012 01:03 PM

Congrats! I'll be looking forward to hearing & seeing how she comes along! We need more pics :)

BarrelracingArabian 12-06-2012 02:09 PM

Shes cute! Id jump at the chance to work with her haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 12-06-2012 02:40 PM

More pics are prety much a must here. :lol:

SlideStop 12-06-2012 03:21 PM

I will definitely get more pics next time I'm at the barn!! Maybe a video too. Full time nursing school, 2 jobs and my friend with ms's horses take up the majority of my time :( or indoor was also destroyed in hurricane Sandy so its not like I can come by after work or school. Finals are around the corner though so I may dedicate mornings to her, then head to work.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 12-06-2012 03:23 PM

Her name is Kit, btw ;) Don't think I mentioned that.
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 12-07-2012 09:43 AM

SS, sounds like you are one busy lady! How sad that your indoor was destroyed. Were all of the horses okay through that?

SlideStop 12-07-2012 10:10 AM

Yeah :( oh well, two more years and I'll have a lovely 3 days on 4 days off a week!! It's gonna be worth it.

All our horses made it through fine. One coliced but that's it. They all stayed outside with there run in sheds. My friends horses were fine too, we went out before it started to get bad and left them two hay nets stuff and said God speed.

We have a canvas indoor and the top blew off but the scary part is that the end walls are solid to the biggest concern was that they would blow over. If one side fell it would have landed on our small barn, if the other side fell it would have landed on our classroom. =\ They didn't fall but from the wind there is definitely structural damage, we can't just toss the top back on.
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 12-07-2012 10:35 AM

Sounds like a great schedule but a long 2 years until then ;) That is scary! Glad all critters & people are okay! Idk what I would do without an indoor especially coming into winter....I don't cry often but that would have me blubbering like a baby.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 12-07-2012 10:41 AM

Yeah it blows :( I could ride in the large outdoor with the lights but I really don't feel like freezing my bum off! At least the indoor traps heat from the sun which keeps it a few degrees warmer and offers protection from the wind. I'd rather be relaxing in my spare time (when I have any) then torturing myself for the sake of a 30 min ride.
Posted via Mobile Device