The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Tyrrell Park Hogs Made The News (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/tyrrell-park-hogs-made-news-145823/)

QOS 12-06-2012 08:54 PM

Tyrrell Park Hogs Made The News

My barn manager/riding buddy called me awhile ago and said the hogs from Tyrrell Park where we ride made the 6 o'clock news. We caught the tail end of the broadcast and I found this on their website.

Wild hogs destroy grounds at Tyrrell Park - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Hoping the city will remove some of them - they are so many it is crazy
:shock:

garlicbunny 12-07-2012 07:00 AM

I LOVE seeing all the deer we have, but wild hogs?? I would worry that they would attack, I thought they were kind of vicious?? sounds like you don't worry about that though.

bsms 12-07-2012 07:55 AM

Folks who ride thru alligators while big squishy spiders leap on them aren't going to worry about some bacon on the hoof! I saw the title and thought it was a sports thread, as in "The Tyrrell Park Hogs won their second state championship..." :D

QOS 12-07-2012 09:49 AM

LOL BSMS you are too funny!! :lol:

Garlicbunny we see more wildlife this park than anywhere else and it is in the city limits. When I first started riding way out in the back we would see them but they were always in the distance and running away from us. Then we started seeing evidence up in the front wooded trails. Then we were seeing them all over the back, running across the trails in front of us, running into them coming around a corner. Then we started seeing them up front. A few months ago we were tacking up and 3 yes 3 little pigs came out of the woods out onto the park area. I saw them a few weeks later on the trail right next to the stable, rolling in the dirt and a little piglet was looking at me and The Biscuit from the underbrush about 8 feet away. Two weeks ago we saw 2 sows about knee high with 11 little bitty piglets.

They are tearing up the groomed grounds of the park, the golf course greens and the botanical gardens. Maybe NOW they will do something about it! I don't want them all gone - it is actually good despooking for the horses. They generally hear them before we do.

And BSMS - you so need to come ride in the park when all of the wildlife is running around. We have seen deer, otter, owls, eagles, hawks, waterbirds of all kinds, birds of all kinds, alligators, turtles, huge gar fish, hogs, coyotes, racoons, opposums and bobcat out there. I haven't seen the deer or the bobcat myself but others have. I have seen way more wildlife in there than when we have been in the forests. It is not that big - maybe 300-400 acres I think but it is bordered by wide open areas and bayous on two sides.

Celeste 12-07-2012 10:54 AM

If they are tearing up the golf course, somebody will probably remove them. I can't imagine my horse if she saw them. I guess that they get used to them. My horse used to go psycho over chickens; now she is used to them.

QOS 12-07-2012 11:03 AM

Celeste,
My cousin's horse, Elan, used to just be totally terrified of Chickens. He would cut them a VERY wide berth. He has since got a little better about it as there are quiet a few at the stables at Tyrrell Park. They hop up in the trailer and scatter the droppings looking for grain. Elan had to get over it!

Biscuit doesn't mind when hogs are at the side of him. He gets a little upset when they are in front of him but he doesn't freak out. Biscuit became "my" horse the day about 3 little small pigs exploded out from about 2 feet from us in dense underbrush in Louisiana. Sarge jumped about 4 feet to the right - Biscuit maybe a foot and didn't dump my butt. That is the day is said Biscuit could stay at Plum Nearly - I had had him for 7 months. Some of the horses get really upset at hogs and some don't even pay attention to them. I am not bothered by them but one of my riding buddies is terrified of them and it really makes her nervous when they run in front of us and they are close! As long as Biscuit doesn't dump me I am ok with it!

Inga 12-07-2012 11:53 AM

Geesh with all the hungry people out there one would think the hog problem would be taken care of in short order.

QOS 12-07-2012 12:05 PM

Inga, the park is like a sanctuary and there is no hunting at all. It is a bird watching haven, etc. ect. ect.

We wouldn't want them to open hunting up in there as it would interfere with our riding but it wouldn't hurt our feelings if the city went in and "forcibly" removed them!!!

Celeste 12-07-2012 12:17 PM

My son was telling me about some guys in south Georgia that make a lot of money off of hogs. They have a two fold plan. First, they get large estates to hire them to remove the hogs. Then, they charge people large sums of money to go on a "Hog Hunting Safari". They make money from both angles. Sounds like a profitable business.

FlyGap 12-07-2012 01:02 PM

UGH!! You Texas people were supposed to get rid of them for us! LOL!
They have made their way back up here and are starting to get established again.
Went to a big party the other night and guess what was on the menu?? 24 hour roasted wild hog! I've never had anything so delicious!

Still haven't seen one on the trails, we ride on 1.5 million acres and they aren't used to people, still spooky. Did hear a large group on my hillside but didn't get a chance to look cause the dogs had them off their territory asap!
Saw a HUGE boar killed in the middle of the road, got a picture to share but it's kind of graphic...