The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Your opinion on 30 days notice... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/your-opinion-30-days-notice-145836/)

alexischristina 12-06-2012 11:33 PM

Your opinion on 30 days notice...

Note: this isn't something that happened recently, nor to me at all. I saw a posting on my local forum and it got me curious as to what you guys think.

Say a BO gives notice, 30 days + that the facility is closing and boarders must move their horses by the end of the 30 days or on 'x' date. As a boarder you either find something before board was due / had something else lined up for such a situation, etc. so you inform the BO that you have found a new location and will be moving your horses right away so you don't lose your spot at the new facility.

Should you be expected to pay board for the rest of the month, despite the fact that the BO gave the 30 days, not yourself?

If that makes sense...

Phly 12-06-2012 11:57 PM

Depends if you pay at the top or bottom of the month. X board divided by days used or days left.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-07-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 1788090)
Note: this isn't something that happened recently, nor to me at all. I saw a posting on my local forum and it got me curious as to what you guys think.

Say a BO gives notice, 30 days + that the facility is closing and boarders must move their horses by the end of the 30 days or on 'x' date. As a boarder you either find something before board was due / had something else lined up for such a situation, etc. so you inform the BO that you have found a new location and will be moving your horses right away so you don't lose your spot at the new facility.

Should you be expected to pay board for the rest of the month, despite the fact that the BO gave the 30 days, not yourself?

If that makes sense...

As a barn owner, I would not require 30 days notice, nor would I expect to be paid for the month if you were not here. So, if I gave notice on Jan 1, 2013 that I was not going to keep on boarding horses and that everyone had to be out on or before Jan 31, 2013, and you told me on Jan 2 that you'd found a new place and were leaving immediately, I'd probably just wish you Bon Voyage and happiness in your new lodgings. I would HOPE a BO would give at least 60 days, so give notice on Dec 1, 2012 that everyone had to go by Jan 31, 2013, that would be more fair, I think. Traditionally, if you pay board on Jan 1 and I tell you to be out on Jan 31, and you get gone by Jan 15, you don't get a refund, so I think that's kind of unfair, making the boarder pay for a month and 1/2 in effect.