The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Hunter Critique- Xander Free Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/hunter-critique-xander-free-jumping-145838/)

JustWingIt 12-07-2012 12:10 AM

Hunter Critique- Xander Free Jumping

Hey guys,
I finally got the arena to myself last night and was able to free jump X for the first time since I bought him last February! I took a few videos and was wondering if you guys could tell me about how he jumps and such. Next summer I plan on showing him in local hunter shows. In the video he's jumping heights from 18" to a 3'3" oxer. Oh yeah and the last clip is him playing with a cone, I thought it was cute so I threw it in there :)

So yeah just tell me anything you think of :)

Oxer 12-07-2012 12:42 AM

If i was watching this as a sale video, I would buy this horse. Without question!
I love him. He's lofty, has his own eye to the jump, and squares up every time. I don't think he's much of an equitation horse, simply because he's just too active over fences. However, i think he could do both rings... hunters and jumpers.
Lovely lovely boy.

JustWingIt 12-07-2012 07:14 AM

Thank you so much, that means a lot to me. I've been worried that he won't place well in hunters because he doesn't move quite as "flat-kneed" as typical hunters. But I think in lower level local shows they will be looking more for a horse that's a safe jumper and is well mannered.
Do you think he could go any higher? I would have tried but my boarding barn is not predominately hunter/jumper so we don't have the nicest jumps to use and we were at the top hole of those homemade standards.
Posted via Mobile Device

maura 12-07-2012 07:32 AM

Agree with Oxer, and yes, I think he has the scope to do more.

Please do use ground lines rolled out from the base of your fences, though. It will help him refine his eye and produce more consistent fences.

I absolutely loved the last jump filmed, where he saw his distance three strides out and shortened to it. Love that!

hollye 12-09-2012 12:06 AM

I think this is a lovely horse who could do hunters or jumpers, and he's got nice form over the fences too. I really don't see anything wrong with him! I think he has the scope to go higher probably. He's not horrifically high-kneed either...a little more than you'd like for hunter but I think he would still be competitive in hunters.
Good luck with him, he's really cute!

JustWingIt 12-09-2012 12:15 AM

Thanks Maura and hollye for your responses!!! Maura, I never realized that it helps his eye too! I will definitely put them out when I'm free jumping in the future, I always do when I riding. And thanks hollye I think he's cute too! :)

Wondering if anyone else has an opinion?
Posted via Mobile Device

JaneyWaney9 12-09-2012 12:41 PM

He's stunning! I have a quarter horse that jumps, and I'm glad to see someone else does it.
He is definitely animated over jumps, like my horse. He would probably do better as a low level jumper at bigger shows, but would be great as a hunter at the local levels.