The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Flu? Allergies? Sinus? Strangles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/flu-allergies-sinus-strangles-145840/)

LittleCountry 12-07-2012 12:27 AM

Flu? Allergies? Sinus? Strangles?

My 20 year old gelding has a nasty runny nose only on the left side. To give more of a history he also had an accident with his left eye and is now blind in it. That eye is smaller than it was but seems to be painless after months of treatment starting the end of June till November I believe. Well a month ago I noticed his nose running on one side and a bad smell. I took him to the vet and he said it is his tooth. He didn't run any blood test. He said he could see a tooth that is causing problems and he believed to be causing a tooth infection. He sent me home with antibiotic pills that I gave twice a day for 12 days. The smell seemed to have went away but the mucus was still there. He's been off antibiotics for about 2 weeks and doesn't seem any better so last night I gave started him on penicillin hoping it works. I made the mistake of reading online and thinking the worst. So now I'm worried he could have strangles because everything keeps saying strangles but wouldn't that be both nostrils not just one? And the smell I was told is because the infection isn't getting oxygen which makes a bad smell.... Sorry if anything is misspelled or confusing. I'm kinda overwhelmed at the moment. It's been a really rough year.

LittleCountry 12-08-2012 12:38 AM

I noticed today that his gland between his jaw on the left side seems a little swollen and I can smell the nasty smell in his nose a bit more. Does anyone have any advice?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-08-2012 01:39 AM

Go back to the vet. I'm gonna guess this has something to do with his eye, and/or maybe his guttural pouch on that side.

LittleCountry 12-08-2012 04:06 PM

I went to the vet this morning and he told me to give him 15cc of penicillin twice a day and to give bute once a day. He still thinks his tooth is the problem. Said I might need an X-ray to determine if the tooth needs pulled but the problem with that is pulling a tooth leaves an even bigger hole. Which means the infection could be worse. He didn't give an exact on how many days to give the penicillin though. How long does this kinda thing last?

Also, his eye doesn't look like it bothering him or like it needs medical attention. And after almost 5 months of aggresive medical treatment it looks great and he seems happy. He doesn't have a lot of eye boogers. I would think it would if it was any kind of infection?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-08-2012 04:42 PM

If it's truly the tooth it would need to go or the infection won't clear up. If there's necrofying tissue in there, it will keep on creating infection in the abcess. Once the tooth is pulled and the infection can drain, antibiotics can clear things up pretty well.

When I have been told to give penicillin it's for 7-10 days, he's not going to be liking you much on the 10th day. He's going to get real unhappy in about 3 days I bet. Bute is either for pain, inflammation or fever, so I wouldn't give the bute unless he's showing signs of pain or has a fever, you can cause ulcers by giving too much bute.

Is there another vet you can use?

smrobs 12-08-2012 04:56 PM

I would be getting a second opinion from another vet. If it's an infected tooth, then the tooth needs to go. Pumping more antibiotics into him without first removing the cause of infection isn't going to do anything except build up an immunity to the antibiotics.