The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Private Paddock question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/private-paddock-question-145864/)

short stuff 12-07-2012 10:41 AM

Private Paddock question

Hello,

I currently have my horse boarded in a private paddock. In the past my horse has always been stalled, and on daily turnout - so this is a bit new to me. I was just wondering if it is normal for private paddocks to not be cleaned/emptied of waste (poop) during the winter. I hate the fact that my horse is now standing on a layer of poop piles and also eating off of it and licking his salt luck on it. He is on a regular worming program - so that helps ease my mind a bit. Am I just not used to having a horse that lives in a private paddock and being overly sensitive? They smush down the waste in the summer months, but nothing has been done since September really. Advice? I may just "pick" it myself this weekend.

DancingArabian 12-07-2012 11:33 AM

Depends on whether or not your boarding contract includes cleaning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 12-07-2012 11:41 AM

Like DA said, it really depends on your contract.

I know in my area, picking out a pasture is basically unheard of. But, generally, around here, pastures are large enough that it's really not an issue.
Of course, some areas of the pasture will end up looking "nasty" (my mare's poop "spot" is right by the gate...so helpful! haha) but the majority of the pasture is pile-free and "clean".

short stuff 12-07-2012 11:47 AM

It is full service - but it doesn't list cleaning specifically. All of the other paddocks are just as messy as my horse's. I will just start cleaning it myself.

Thanks!

short stuff 12-07-2012 11:50 AM

I should also mention that these are small paddocks that are meant for a single horse. I would say about 1/2 the enclosure has a layer on the ground. It's more like a pen with shelter and water than a paddock.

Joe4d 12-07-2012 12:51 PM

doesnt sound very full in the full service department. A barn must have a manure management plan. I dont care how big or small the fields are. Just letting it lay is an invitation to being overrun with flys. Of course I realize thats just what many places do, now I have rented small portion of field but I did just that, rented the field. The renter could do what they wanted with it. As I was making no claim I was a horse manager. But sounds like you are at a business. I would expect a basic level of hygiene if it was "full board". What dod the other pens look like before you brought your horse. Did you do a sight inspection ahead of time ? You may be stuck cleaning until you find another barn.

short stuff 12-07-2012 01:00 PM

I viewed the barn in the summer - so the paddocks had been "rolled"/cleaned every few weeks. This is a boarding barn facility - not a co-op or anything like that. I love the trainer there and my coach and the people are great.... I think they are just really under staffed... Which calls for a difficult decision, because aside from paddock care I love it there!

mls 12-07-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by short stuff (Post 1788573)
I viewed the barn in the summer - so the paddocks had been "rolled"/cleaned every few weeks. This is a boarding barn facility - not a co-op or anything like that. I love the trainer there and my coach and the people are great.... I think they are just really under staffed... Which calls for a difficult decision, because aside from paddock care I love it there!

It's best to bring it up. If you don't mention an issue, they can't address it.

Maybe they will discount your board if you clean it yourself. Added bonus - it's great exercise.