The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Reining Prospect? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/reining-prospect-145872/)

Kayella 12-07-2012 01:41 PM

Reining Prospect?

6 Attachment(s)
So with Henny being 7 months old, I have plenty of time to think about what I want him to excel in. Besides a trail horse, I've been thinking about turning him into a reining horse. If he'll be able to handle being ridden, that is. But if he can be ridden normally, I would love for him to become a reining horse. I don't know much about the sport, but I have quite a few years to delve into it and really study/train my butt off so we could make a good pair. Do y'all think with his conformation and pedigree he'd be reining material? If not, what do you think he would excel in? I know it might be too early to tell right now, but I've been thinking about it since he was a couple weeks old. :lol:

His pedigree:
Swen Sparks Fly Paint

And I'll even give you a few photos :) Some are older, but you get the idea.

Kayella 12-08-2012 12:21 AM

No one?! Someone's gotta have an opinion :wink:

Moosey3 12-08-2012 01:44 PM

His body type is pretty muscular for a foal. My parents breed reining horses, so I should know!! His Pedigree looks pretty good, but you never know.

franknbeans 12-08-2012 03:09 PM

Reining training is good for any horse. It gives them a great handle, and many of them can at least do the maneuvers. How well, is the question, along with what level you want (if at all) to compete at. I trained my guy (who is a QH X) to just have fun with-did one show-keep my goals realistic, and that is it. If I wanted to be competitive-he wouldn't be the right horse for that. But-he IS the right horse for so many other things, that many reiners are not. I can put a monkey on his back on a trail, he is about as safe and bombproof as it gets, but, he doesn't spin fast, doesn't really have a go button (which is fine for me).

Kayella 12-08-2012 03:15 PM

Henny doesn't have much of a go button, either. He'll be lazy until you want to get him working, then it's very easy to get him going. So basically he's lazy until you want him to step it up, then he'll be glad to do so. I let him out in the paddock last night for his first real run in almost a week. He was running and bucking like crazy, and every time he'd run up to the fence and slide to a stop literally inches from the fence. He has a great natural stop :)