The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   To flex tree or not... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/flex-tree-not-145879/)

existentialpony 12-07-2012 01:37 PM

To flex tree or not...

Hi all!

So, I've decided to pick up a Fabtron Lady Trail Saddle for a first, affordable saddle since I've had trouble finding a second-hand one that I like (and this one has rave reviews from a lot of first-time and old-time buyers). However, this saddle comes with either a regular tree or with a Ralide flex tree. I've read a lot of pro-con information about the flex tree, but I still can't make up my mind. I am 135# (way below the 200lb recommended limit that I've heard about) and plan to use the saddle on my QH mare for training and trails.

Any thoughts? Should I stick safe and go with a regular tree, or do you guys think that the flex tree nay-sayers are just fussing about nothing?

Thanks!

SouthernTrails 12-07-2012 03:03 PM

The Ralide Flex Tree is the only Flex Tree that does not have a weight limit, that being said, IMO save the extra 45.00 for the Flex Tree upgrade and buy a more expensive pad, like a 1" thick wool pad.

Flex Trees are more hype than benefit IMO, a higher quality pad gives extra comfort for the Horse, just as the flex tree is supposed to do.

Flex Tree have no effect for fitting various sized Horses......

DancingArabian 12-07-2012 03:10 PM

Go for the flex tree.

Be warned, your horse may end up being particular and hate treed saddles afterwards! My Arab loves his treeless saddles that much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poco1220 12-07-2012 03:12 PM

I highly recommend riding in a flex tree before buying one! I thought about getting one since people go on and on about how wonderful they are but the one time I rode in one I HATED it! Glad I didn't buy one!
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 12-07-2012 04:14 PM

There is a discussion of flex trees here:

What is a Flex Tree?

I don't think they do much to help a saddle fit better, although they might be a little more comfortable to the horse if the saddle already fits.

nvr2many 12-07-2012 04:18 PM

Both my circle y saddles are flex 2 trees. Never thought too much about it. Geesh, guess I need to go read the thread about them.
Love mine tho. Maybe they are not all the same??