The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Linus and blanket info (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/linus-blanket-info-145881/)

WickedNag 12-07-2012 02:57 PM

Linus and blanket info

Linus came from the middle of MO and of course we are much colder here in South Dakota. Since he was also under lights from being at the World Show in TX he has very little winter growth. Seller suggested putting a blanket on him when below 32. That has been pretty good for the past week since he arrived but our winter is finally here and we will not see above 32 anytime soon.

Am I going to have to keep Linus in a blanket all winter? And if I do, do I ever take it off? I have never had to blanket a horse that has been without winter hair at all.

Thanks in advance!

Elana 12-07-2012 03:12 PM

Oh my.. we had a discussion about this..

Some people put a blanket on and leave it on successfully.

I personally never did that.. and use to change the blanket every 12 hours (had two) allowing one to air (inside out) while the other was in use. I did a quick dandy brush of the horse between blankets and looked for any rub marks. I also rarely blanketed more than 24 hours because the wind was the issue coupled with temperature.

But that was ME. I put this up before and several folks came on and said they put it on when it got cold and NEVER took it off until spring. Those who do this can better speak to that practice than I can.

WickedNag 12-07-2012 04:26 PM

Thanks Elana, I have never before put a blanket on a horse and left it. I have never had a horse that came from a warm climate into a cold climate having just come out from having lights on him. Hence the confusion on what to do. I don't want to end up with a sick yearling.

mls 12-07-2012 05:01 PM

Blanket and leave it on. I would suggest at least two so you always have one in clean and in good repair.

He will likely not grow a decent winter coat this year.

CLaPorte432 12-07-2012 05:35 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Definitely make sure to readjust the blanket daily. I take mine off every few days to check for sore spots or any type of rub marks. I also prefer to take them off and check their overall physical condition. That way you know if he is losing weight and needs more feed.

Im in Michigan and i like to blanket when its 35 and below, unless its a sunny day and feels warm. Those days my horses go blanketless, but when its windy, snowy or rainy and below 35, they are blanketed.

My favorite blanket is the Schneider Blackets from Horse Supplies, Horse Tack, Horse Sheets, Fly Sheets and much more from Schneider Saddlery. They were very reasonably priced, i got the 1200D, heavy weight (400gram fill) and i got the neck cover for 50% off when i purchased the blanket. The blankets fit PERFECTLY and dont rub at all. The neck goes higher up and my horses are never "choked" when putting their heads down. Super nice quality blankets at the perfect price. I purchased 4 this fall. They are awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

spirit88 12-07-2012 07:25 PM

I would get a neck cover along with a blanket sounds like he has no winter coat to speak of. I only balnket one of my horses already have had it on her for about a week. took it off again got into the fiftys again. I do have blankets for all three two are brand new never blanketed last winter was to mild of a winter.

Delfina 12-07-2012 08:27 PM

Buy two blankets and keep rotating them. Hopefully he's not a blanket wrecker!

Surprise 623 12-07-2012 08:33 PM

I agree with keeping blanket on and checking every few days for any problems and keeping a spare if possible.

Any horse named "Linus" definitely needs his blanket LOL

EvilHorseOfDoom 12-07-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise 623 (Post 1789111)

So glad I'm not the only one who thought this!! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-07-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise 623 (Post 1789111)

LOL! That's just wrong! :lol:

I am a fan of Schneider's blankets too. Will he be in a barn stall or will he have any kind of shelter available to him? I'm asking because I blanket differently if they will be inside vs if outside with no shelter or lean to. Especially since he won't grow much of a coat this year, you're going to need more than 1 blanket, weight/style. Too bad since they sold a show horse north they didn't send at least one with him.