The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Pasture Problems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/pasture-problems-145885/)

FITchick 12-07-2012 02:36 PM

Pasture Problems

Hi all! Not too sure if this would be the right place to place this thread.....but I'm having an awful time catching my mare in the pasture. She was moved out to pasture in October because of digestion problems and the problem practically disappeared overnight. Since then, she and two other mares have formed a "click". If any one of them sees a person (not just me) they all run away. The pasture is about 10 acres big, and I'm getting quite tired trying to catch her. I don't even know what to do at this point....I can catch her if she's by herself. I've been contemplating on moving her to somewhere where she can either be pastured alone or where the pastures aren't so big. It took me almost 2 hours today to catch her today. Any suggestions?

jackboy 12-07-2012 04:53 PM

every time you go to catch her take treats with you.When you catch her give her one and say her name while u give her the treat. It will take a few times but after that all you will have to do is go to the fence and call her name and she will come to you.I had same problem worked for me

LisaG 12-07-2012 08:39 PM

Yeah, that's a really annoying problem.

Have you done any round pen training with your mare? That's basically what I do with horses that are tricky to catch. Get her moving in a circle around you, then, when she starts looking at you, step back and draw her in.

Because she just runs away from you, it's not quite the same as being in a corral. When I was having problems, I would use something my mare wanted, and make that the center of my circle or half circle. So, for example, I would stand in front of the water trough if she came in for water, and not let her get a drink until she came up to me and let me halter her. I'd just keep her going in a half-circle, turning each time she hit the end of the half-circle.

This didn't take more than a minute or two because we've done this in round pens before. I didn't make her run or anything - just walk and trot. I think she needed to know that I could control her movements.

Some people use oats, but personally I hate having to carry a bucket of oats to catch a horse. It can make other horses rude, too. For a while, I was setting the oats on the other side of the fence, out of the horse's reach, and doing the same thing that I did with the water trough.

Now I don't need to use any bait, but I do do the round pen stuff still every time I catch her. She yields pretty quickly. I also do it with other horses so they don't develop the problem.

NorthernMama 12-07-2012 11:45 PM

THere may also be an issue with the herd mentality. If one of the other two horses is a difficult to catch horse and is also a dominant horse, you need to overcome that horse's dominance over yours. Problem is, I have no idea how to do that unless all the horses are yours. Sorry....

Thunderspark 12-08-2012 02:16 AM

I only had one horse ever give me a problem catching him, he was boarded here. I had no problem catching the other 5 or 6 here at the time. So what I did is I haltered everyone up one by one, took them to the north pasture and he was last. I went out to get him and he kept running away, so I would leave, go back in an hour or so but still he would walk away. So he spent the day alone. The next day I did the same thing, this time I went out to get him and he turned away, so I left.....when I went out again he was ready to get his halter on and go join the rest. After that I had no problems.