The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   horse treats! (what do you use?) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/horse-treats-what-do-you-use-145925/)

Samhwain 12-07-2012 11:18 PM

horse treats! (what do you use?)

I figured this was a good place to post this. I wanna know what you guys give your horses as treats I know what I give mine - and they're picky about not having them!

My mare Chewy adores
  • honey buns (they're her absolute favorite)
  • "cinnamon" buns (sans cinnamon cuz I dunno how that'd react with her)
  • caramels (on occassion)
  • carrots
  • sugar cubes
My uncles gelding well. . . he'll eat anything. Gummi Worms, sandwiches, honey buns, jujubees, caramels, carrots, apples- literally anything in your hand that's 'edible'.

so what do your ponies eat? And yes I'm aware Chewy's treats aren't exactly healthy but they're only on ocassion and she's never had an adverse reaction (and the vets already know she eats them and watched her eat them so. . . I guess they're not too bad for her?)

SueNH 12-09-2012 09:04 AM

I don't give much for treats, an occassional apple or carrot. I bought a bag of horse treats from tractor supply. It's taken all summer and fall to go through half the bag. Sometimes I use a handful of hay pellets.

walkinthewalk 12-09-2012 09:46 AM

I have two horses with metabolic issues. Sugar does not exist in my barn.

They are all perfectly content with timothy pellets and that is something that can safely and easily be put in a Ziplock bag when out trail riding:-)

flytobecat 12-09-2012 09:52 AM

Mostly carrots. Occasionally, a honey oat granola bar.

acorn 12-09-2012 10:14 AM

My two will blimp up at the drop of a hat so they don't get many treats but when they do they get a small piece of cut up carrot or apple.

If I gave either of them a sugar cube or honeybun they would think they'd died and gone to heaven but would also gain twenty pounds right on the spot.

Mochachino 12-09-2012 10:49 AM

I give apples, carrots, horse treats and granola bars sometimes ones with fruit filling. I'll also add just a tad of apple sauce into their beet bulp once in a while. When I bought my older QH his owner made me promise I would give him the hard jolly ranchers once in a while, they are his favorite. He will almost do back flips when he sees the package. It is so funny how excited he gets!

Catpeedontherug 12-09-2012 10:51 AM

We have lots of fruit trees, so they get the blemished fruit. Plums, apples, pears.

MHFoundation Quarters 12-09-2012 10:53 AM

Mine get an occasional pear off the tree when they are ripe, tossed to them in the pasture. Aside from that I only have one that gets treats, she's 20 and came to me having been given treats her whole life so I let lesson kids give her a sugar free peppermint after lessons are over. The rest have never been given treats so they won't take anything even if offered.

Dustbunny 12-09-2012 10:55 AM

Carrots, apples, or apple or berry or peppermint flavored horse treats.
Years ago I had a mare who loved those little butterscotch candies. She would hold it in her mouth for ages before finally chewing it. I stay away from candy now though.

verona1016 12-09-2012 03:28 PM

Usually it's alfalfa cubes and hay. He loves alfalfa cubes more than life itself, and I usually bring about a pound every time I visit to put in his treat dispenser, but I'll grab a few from the bag and use them as rewards sometimes. I'll also use hay as a reward for standing quietly while he's getting girthed up- I'll grab a big handful and stick it on his back behind the saddle, then pull off a little handful every time he's quiet when the girth is tightened a notch.

I always bring apples for him when we go to shows, and he'll get carrots occasionally when they start to look a little old in the refrigerator at home.