The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What would my mare throw with him? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-would-my-mare-throw-him-145928/)

DressageDreamer 12-07-2012 11:40 PM

What would my mare throw with him?

Breeding Grey Flea Bitten with a Chestnut Framed Overo Stallion. What are the chances of her throwing a foal like the stallion? Mare is a registered AQHA Dash for Cash grandaughter. Stallion is an APHA. Could the foal be dual registered? Not sure I want to do this but curious as to what could be thrown.

Poseidon 12-08-2012 12:06 AM

1) Is the stallion also AQHA registered? If not, then no, it can't be double registered.

2) Has your mare been tested for OLWS? If not, make sure you know her status before breeding her to a frame overo.

3) What color was your mare when she was born? Does she have one gray parent or two?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-08-2012 12:25 AM

You pretty much have a 50/50 chance of throwing a grey foal. It may not be grey when it's born but could start to white out as it got older. I would not breed to a patterned horse with a grey mare, not if you care about color and pattern.

I did this probability with her base as chestnut (because of the 'flea bites') if she was born bay, then it would be a little different but not much.

Offspring Color Probability

25.00% -
Gray (Chestnut) Overo
25.00% -
Gray (Chestnut)
25.00% -
Chestnut Overo
25.00% -
Chestnut

DressageDreamer 12-08-2012 12:33 AM

Her sire was Society Road (son of Dash for Cash) and the dam was Teenas Tiny. I don't know about their colors. My mare was preggers when I bought her 3 yrs ago and had a black foal that turned grey.
The stallion is only APHA. I have not had my mare tested, so thank you for the head's up on that. Like I said, not sure I want to breed her or not.

DressageDreamer 12-08-2012 12:36 AM

Her sire was Society Road (son of Dash for Cash) and the dam was Teenas Tiny. I don't know about their colors. My mare was preggers when I bought her 3 yrs ago and had a black foal that turned grey.
The stallion is only APHA. I have not had my mare tested, so thank you for the head's up on that. Like I said, not sure I want to breed her or not.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-08-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DressageDreamer (Post 1789585)

If I bred her, I'd do it to a solid maybe a grullo, so when it greyed out I wouldn't be disappointed. If color and pattern are important to you, I'd just go look for the perfect foal that fits your wants.

Poseidon 12-08-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1789561)
You pretty much have a 50/50 chance of throwing a grey foal. It may not be grey when it's born but could start to white out as it got older. I would not breed to a patterned horse with a grey mare, not if you care about color and pattern.

I did this probability with her base as chestnut (because of the 'flea bites') if she was born bay, then it would be a little different but not much.

Offspring Color Probability

25.00% -
Gray (Chestnut) Overo
25.00% -
Gray (Chestnut)
25.00% -
Chestnut Overo
25.00% -
Chestnut

This is incorrect. You have no idea what color the mare is underneath the grey. She could be anything based on the information we have, which means the resulting foal could end up any color. The most I can tell the OP from the information provided is that the foal has the possibility of being chestnut, but if it ends up black-based, it will be heterozygous for black (as chestnut is homozygous red), it has a 50% chance of being a frame overo, and a 50% chance of being gray.

Does your mare's AQHA papers say what color she was born? Or is she registered as gray?

DressageDreamer 12-08-2012 07:26 PM

Her papers say grey. She is black skin color under her hair and her flea specks are mostly black with a few that have a red cast.

Poseidon 12-08-2012 07:32 PM

All I can tell you from the black skin is that she doesn't have a white pattern, really. Most colors have black/gray skin underneath. The flecks don't help much either because gray skews their color. A gray Arab I know has black fleabites, but was born chestnut. :/

smrobs 12-08-2012 07:39 PM

Hmm, I was just fixing to ask what color her fleabites were. If they are dark with a reddish cast, then she could be a chestnut, bay, brown, or black base (most likely anyway)...which doesn't narrow the potential foal options down much LOL.

Okay, so I did a little digging. Her sire, Society Road, was a gray that was heterozygous for gray (providing that the info on allbreedpedigree is correct) and her dam was a bay (again, providing allbreed has it right). So technically, if that is all correct, your mare would be a heterozygous for gray, giving her a 50% chance of producing a gray foal. I don't know what color her sire was under the gray, but if her dam was a bay then there is a possibility that she is, at least, heterozygous for black as well.

Basically, the only standard colors ruled out are the cream dilutions like palomino and buckskin and any form of dun coloring. Pretty much every other color is still up for grabs LOL.

I think I've got my figuring right anyway....