The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Help critique these please (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/help-critique-these-please-145991/)

princessfluffybritches 12-08-2012 06:21 PM

Help critique these please

10 Attachment(s)
I trimmed these 2 days ago. A farrier today looked at them and said they are too low inside, and it has remodeled her feet. So normal landmarks don't work. I have been getting landmarks that don't agree.

The first 5 are RF.

MyBoyPuck 12-08-2012 08:08 PM

Agree with farrier. It's slight, but the outside does look a touch higher. I also see heels running forward that need to be dragged back, stretched sole and what looks to be quite a bit of false sole. Hopefully Trinity or loosie will ring in with advice.

Missy May 12-08-2012 09:25 PM

Well, while you're awaiting the knowledgeable to chime in, the not so knowledgeable (that would be me) will comment.

I don't know if I can actually see it, or its the power of suggestion that makes it "appear" shorter. But, the hairline in the second pic down looks "higher" on the inside and the heal does appear slightly lower on same (inside).

It could be just the photos - or my eyes, but it looks as if the heels have a "nub", kinda of like a cleat, that is out of the rest of the plane. Like in the 6th picture down, it looks like the nub is on the outside, but not the inside heel. I like the length and they look healthy.

princessfluffybritches 12-08-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1790575)
Agree with farrier. It's slight, but the outside does look a touch higher. I also see heels running forward that need to be dragged back, stretched sole and what looks to be quite a bit of false sole. Hopefully Trinity or loosie will ring in with advice.

I think it's the angle of the picture, because her toes are not stretched forward. She's got good proportions. Darn camera!

And I felt if I lowered (brought back) her heels any more, she would have a broken back angle.

I had to really eat alot of crow to have this farrier take on my horse again. I guess it's better to argue than just drop a farrier. : (

Trinity3205 12-09-2012 12:43 AM

The bottoms of those feet need cleaned up a bit. BArs need trimmed back to the middle of the frog, heels need lowered and brought back to the widest part of the frog and you need to get these toes back also. The whole foot is actually overgrown a bit with some false sole in there. You have a stretched frog also

Google ELPO hoof mapping. One good trim would go a long way with this foot.

Trinity3205 12-09-2012 12:49 AM

This is what I see. Heels that are run forward of the back of the foot and too tall and a toe that is showing a good bit of distortion. You need to actually map this foot but the toe can come back a good bit which will allow you to lower the heels and not have a broken back axis. Both go hand in hand.

Unlevel heels are easy to see here too. Night night! Ill check back tomorrow sometime.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...y3205/foot.jpg

princessfluffybritches 12-09-2012 09:04 AM

THANKS! Trinity! Thanks for the mark up. This farrier cleaned them up after these pics. Honestly, I'm glad he'll do them. I like learning about trimming. But actually doing it-I'd rather not. There's times when I had to. And it's wise to know how. It will be interesting to post pics next time and talk about what this farrier is doing. : )

princessfluffybritches 12-09-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy May (Post 1790690)
Well, while you're awaiting the knowledgeable to chime in, the not so knowledgeable (that would be me) will comment.

I don't know if I can actually see it, or its the power of suggestion that makes it "appear" shorter. But, the hairline in the second pic down looks "higher" on the inside and the heal does appear slightly lower on same (inside).

It could be just the photos - or my eyes, but it looks as if the heels have a "nub", kinda of like a cleat, that is out of the rest of the plane. Like in the 6th picture down, it looks like the nub is on the outside, but not the inside heel. I like the length and they look healthy.

MissyMay, I've seen your post for quite a while, and I can't call you not so knowledgeable!

princessfluffybritches 12-09-2012 09:43 AM

Trinity, your hoof mapping is alot like Duckett's Dot mapping. I really like that.

Missy May 12-09-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessfluffybritches (Post 1791113)
THANKS! Trinity! Thanks for the mark up. This farrier cleaned them up after these pics. Honestly, I'm glad he'll do them. I like learning about trimming. But actually doing it-I'd rather not. There's times when I had to. And it's wise to know how. It will be interesting to post pics next time and talk about what this farrier is doing. : )

When I was forced to do my own mare's - I grumbled for the better part of the first 5-6 months, I felt like a complete "imposter", worried that I was doing more harm than good. My farrier and friend initially gave me a "lesson" on her own horse and kept telling me "you can do it", and gave me the items to "get started". I felt like I'd been thrown to the wolves, really. No matter what training materials I read/watched, I still wished someone else could do them (my mare goes from compliant at liberty for me, to "get lost, you!" for any farrier, yet is great for the vet, go figure). Then, one day I it was like, "am I actually enjoying this? No, can't be, banish the thought!" B/c I am so slow at it, and her feet are hard as steel, if I get really busy I'll feel "overwhelmed" trying to keep up and return to wishing someone else could do it.

So, hang in there!!

btw, I still feel like an imposter...but thanks for the compliment, that was nice of you to say!