The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   how long do you work your horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-long-do-you-work-your-146/)

brandig 12-17-2006 02:24 PM

how long do you work your horse

how long do all of you work your horses? be it round pens or loungeing ground work etc? i have always done about 1 1/2 to 2 hours if i needed to 2 1/2 but that was pushing it. normally i try abotu an hour and a half with jewels. is this too long? i have jut had someone tell me that i was going way too lont and to do 15 to 20 minute sessions??

sparky 12-17-2006 07:09 PM

it depends on how my horse is that day. If she is in a bad, cranky, stubborn mood, i might work her for 2 1/2 hours if she is not doing what i ask.

I usually ride for and hour, maybe a bit longer. We do lots of everything. Because she is uneducated, i always go over things we have learnt. At the moment we are working on legs aids, so if i use my right leg she will go the the left etc.

I see no problem with riding your horse for 1 1/2 hours.

kristy 12-17-2006 07:59 PM

I ride my older horse for an hour max. I ride the younger ones longer, no more then 2 hours.

showpony@heart 12-18-2006 12:50 AM

I do whatever i can find time for personally i try to work/train for 45 minutes max, but usually it's 20 -30 mins, but i ride for longer if its just pleasure, when i work younger or uneducated horses it's usually about 15 -20 mins, i try not to overload them and always end on a good note (of corse :P ).

aussie_jumper 12-25-2006 04:39 AM

i ride all my horses for about hour-2hrs and it keeps them fit... sometimes i give them a good old bash(not literally) ariund the gallop track and jump and then end with dressage...

i see no prob with you riding for that long..

cowpuncher 12-27-2006 03:35 AM

Depends on the horse, what it's level of training is, and what job I have to accomplish that day.

First ride on a colt? fifteen minutes is long, although I might put an hour in sacking it out with the rope and saddling the first time.

First thirty days on a colt? 45-90 minutes, although it might go longer if I have a fence to ride that needs work. That can be an all day ride, albeit at a walk with lots of stops.

Branding? Maybe twenty or thirty minutes for a green colt, four or five hourse for an experienced working horse.

Gathering cows off the mountain? ten or fifteen hours is not unheard of.....

Painted Horse 12-30-2006 12:51 AM

I don't do much in a round pen or arena. Most of my rides are on the mountain. Young horses get an hour at easy walk. 4-5 year olds will go out all day.

I keep my horses pretty well "Legged up" I don't tire them out so they are dead beat. But rather stay out long enough that they pay attention to me and stop fooling around.

My horses seem to enjoy a good trail ride. It gives them so many things to see and deal with. Corssing logs, streams, dark shadows, hikers, mountain bikers, pet dogs, birds like pheasants and turkeys exploding from cover, deer spoking and running off. It all helps the young horse learn to trust me. If they get a little excited, I can make them turn circles around a sagebrush until the calm down. If they really get excited, there is usually a steep hill close by to make them climb and burn off excess energy.

I agree you have to ride them in an arena or round pen long enough to fell comfortable that you can stop and control them prior to going on a trail ride.

Sandra 12-31-2006 06:49 AM

Hi :D
I ride my horse usually only 30 minutes - one hour but not more!! I think it also depends wheather you do dressage, jumping or whatever. Sometimes I longe my horse but only 45 minutes till my horse is easy-going and relaxed!! :wink:
Sandra

barnrat 12-31-2006 10:35 PM

alright, young horses should only be ridden and in training for 20-30 minutes, I read an article (if anyone wants to read it just tell me, I will find it) that because there young they have a short attention span and that they cant concentrate for more then 20-30 minutes.

However......

The horses that are trained and fit can go all day, thats what I find.

royalrox 01-05-2007 11:07 PM

If I'm riding alone I tend to be able to have a short ride (not a second is wasted) but if your riding with other people it tends to be longer because you can't do exactly what you want right at that moment you have to work around others. But with my four year old I like to do a short but useful ride 30 min usually if he goes without problems.