The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Want To Age Yourself Quickly? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/want-age-yourself-quickly-146006/)

Tennessee 12-08-2012 07:54 PM

Want To Age Yourself Quickly?

Want to jump from the mentality of an 18 year old to a 40 year old in less than 2 months? Random aches and bad habits come for free. Join the military.

I recently got back into contact with some of my old high school friends, and I don't enjoy their presence as much as I used to. Before bootcamp we could hang out, talk for hours, and have a good time all of the time. Now, it's hard for me to keep a conversation with them because they seem so....high school to me. I am not trying to get on a high horse, but did I really change that much? The things they talk about and the way they act is so very childish. So much stuff that used to matter to me just seems so trivial now. Like, whoopdedoo, your boyfriend didn't call you yesterday at all and you miss him. Big freaking deal. And don't get pissed at me for not writing you when you promised you were going to write me first because I was busy ya know...in bootcamp!

I want my innocence again. I almost feel like I am different from them because I have this more serious mentality now.

I don't know the point of this post other than to let some feelings off of my chest.

smrobs 12-08-2012 08:03 PM

Yep, that happens sometimes. Some people go through experiences that mature them quickly while their age-mates get left behind in the land of drama and pettiness.

Been there, done that. Best answer? Get some new friends that share your level of maturity, even if they are older than you. Not saying you have to dump your old ones, but sometimes it's nice to have mature conversations, just like sometimes it's nice to act a fool and be childish. Makes it easier if you have a group of friends for each :wink:.

Nightside 12-08-2012 08:19 PM

Did you graduate recently? That feeling will most likely fade and you go back to immaturity. Most of.the 30-somethings were still telling fart jokes and playing video games. This comes from personal experience
Former coast guard.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 12-08-2012 08:24 PM

Uhm i can say I'm only 17( 2 months from 18) and I absolutely can't stand the kids in my school. I live with child like adults so I do pretty much everything myself and prefer to hang out with older people than people my age.
Many think its a bad thing but I see it as a blessing I look at how they drive the teachers/ bosses/ etc crazy and am sooo glad I can just focus on school/ getting a job and graduation rather then the next biggest fad or party.
I still enjoy thosr things on occasion but I still much rather go riding / to the gym or hang out watching movies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 12-09-2012 11:20 AM

It's called growing up. You've had exposure to other ideas,learned a lot in bootcamp, & will be moving on to more training & a job real soon. Keep focused on the road ahead, & remember there is a reason most high-school reunions only come around every 10 years-gives more of them time to grow-up-LOL.

DancingArabian 12-09-2012 12:05 PM

It's pretty normal for people to change during bootcamp and become more mature.

The "triviality" of regular life is what causes a lot of adjustment problems for soldiers when they come home from war. You're already experiencing that from bootcamp! A lot of my husbands friends went through the same when they got out of bootcamp. I say a lot instead of all because I didn't know them all, but every single one I met had some kind of low-level adjustment problem coming out.

tempest 12-09-2012 12:25 PM

While I may not be in boot camp per say right now. I can somewhat relate to this feeling. I'm in the NROTC program at my college and due to that whenever I go home I look at my friends and I get annoyed with their level of maturity. My experience probably isn't nearly as bad as yours is but in 2014 I'll be going to the Marines Officer Candidate School, and I'm sure that after that I probably won't be able to stand a lot of what they do anymore. Good news is that the military friends I'm making now are roughly on the same level of maturity that I am.

I'm sure you made friends during boot camp?