The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Green young horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/green-young-horses-146027/)

dreamster 12-08-2012 11:14 PM

Green young horses?

Hi, I'm just wondering when this is listed in "horses for sale" ads what sort of rider would you expect that would be able to handle the horse? (I mean like in terms of riding what would you expect the rider to be able to do/has done?)

"Although he is quiet he requires a confident and competent rider as he is green and has young pony moments."

"Experienced rider needed, not for beginners or nervous riders as she is a sensitive horse and a green jumper."

"Still young, so experienced riders only please."

"a few things that make him an advanced rider's project."

etc etc etc, you get the idea :)

(most of the horses are around 6-7 years old)

TheAQHAGirl 12-08-2012 11:17 PM

Well obviously a rider who has been-there-done-that and has experience under his/her belt.

Those horses don't sound good for a beginner rider.

I think I answered this right, LOL. Please tell me if you were asking for something else.

dreamster 12-08-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl (Post 1790818)
Well obviously a rider who has been-there-done-that and has experience under his/her belt.

Those horses don't sound good for a beginner rider.

I think I answered this right, LOL. Please tell me if you were asking for something else.

I guess what do you mean with has been-there-done-that and I guess what sort of experience?

Thunderspark 12-09-2012 12:42 AM

I would say those horses wouldn't be for beginner riders or green riders as some people say.......

usandpets 12-09-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamster (Post 1790831)
I guess what do you mean with has been-there-done-that and I guess what sort of experience?

Someone that can sit thru bucks, rears, bolting, etc. Someone that has experience of horses doing those things and knows how to react and handle those situations.
Posted via Mobile Device

FaydesMom 12-09-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamster (Post 1790831)

Somebody who has ridden enough young green horses that they are able to "feel" the spook coming and have already seen the cause and prepared for the counter correction without even having to think about it, or even stop the conversation you are having with the person riding next to you.

That's an "experienced rider".

thenrie 12-10-2012 01:21 PM

I actually look for horses like that. They are cheap and I like to train them into good trail horses. The owners almost always list them as "green broke" but I find that out here in the east that can mean just about anything from not halter-broke to dead broke but ornery.

Here's what I look for:

First, whether a horse is registered or not is not important for me, so I do not allow that to be used against me as a bargaining point. If a person says, "He's a purebred stallion and could be registered, but I just didn't put in the papers." as far as I'm concerned he's a "grade" gelding.

Second, I look for a horse that is easy to catch. It indicates the horse has probably not been abused. Abused horses have emotional problems just like abused humans do. It's sometimes tough to train them out of it. It might turn out to be a great horse, but it might not.

Third, I look for good conformation. Now I don't mean it has to have perfect legs or head or anything that is particular to a particular breed. It just has to look good to me. I want straight legs, no bad scars or proud flesh around the coronets and hocks, solid hooves, decent withers and back, and a nice-looking head. We all like pretty horses, but what I really want is a sound one. I like loooooong rides in the mountains and I look for horses that will stand up to long rides and hard work.

Fourth, it has to load in a trailer. I never pay the money before I have the horse in the trailer. You can't get him home if he won't load. A horse that won't load in a trailer is absolutely useless to me.

Lastly, I look for a "gentle eye". By that I mean I stay away from horses that are flighty or show white around their eyes as I handle them. Often that's why they are being sold - they are "too hot to handle". At 6-7 years of age, that is likely a pretty set trait in them. I don't worry quite as much about that in a horse that is 2-3 years old.

Just to relate a funny story about the horse in my avatar, she was being offered at $800, advertised as a green broke 6 year-old quarter horse mare, but being sold because she is a little lazy. When I arrived to look at her, the owner told me they had owned her for several years, but were not using her. She looked healthy and sound. She came right up to the owner in the corral and was easy to catch. She showed a very gentle disposition and was very personable. I liked her right off.

As I talked with the owner, the truth came out. When they rode her, she would hardly go and would walk very slowly. They didn't like that, so her husband got on the mare and tried to get her to "go" (the husband told me they like horses that "get up and go."). He booted her and she promptly bucked him off. They never rode her again. I was starting to get a better picture here. It appeared to me the horse had no training and didn't know how to do anything. They owners had no idea how to train a horse.

I used my heavy lead rope to snub her to a tree with a safety knot, then brushed her down. She was fine, even liked it. She fidgeted when I tossed my blanket onto her back, but stood when I put my saddle on her. When I began to tighten the cinch she exploded! I stepped back and watched as she jumped and bucked and plowed into the tree, finally ending up on her back with her neck stretched out and her feet in the air. Once she quit struggling, I reached over and pulled the knot out and let her up. I looked her over and made sure she was not injured and calmed her a little.

Then I walked over to the owner and told her, "I like the horse. There are several others I'm going to look at first, but I may come back for her. However, if I do, I'll be talking $300 rather than $800." The owner looked at the horse, then back to me and said, "I can do that!" The horse's antics really helped out in getting the price down where I wanted it!

After looking at several other horses, I did go back. Before I paid the $300, though, I told the owner that if she did not load in the trailer I would not buy her. The mare was reluctant, but loaded and I bought her. I've been happy with her and she's turning out to be a very good trail horse.

For her, "green broke" meant she was halter broke, but not much past that. She's had me on the ground four times as I've trained her (definitely not lazy), but she has turned out to be a very nice trail horse for my 16 year-old daughter.:wink:

Food for thought: If the ad says an experienced rider is needed, take that as gospel. It's likely an inexperienced person selling it, so they know first hand and are trying to be honest!

eliduc 12-10-2012 01:57 PM

Personally, I steer away from ads like that unless the horse is represented as being unbroke because you are probably buying problems that the inexperienced owner has caused. I would rather start with one that has not been ridden but at least leads. Why? Because it is often easier to train a horse than to retrain a horse that is spoiled. With that in mind, if you can't start an unbroke horse and move it on then you probably shouldn't be looking at a horse that is advertised as needing an experienced or advanced rider. Take the owner's word for it and thank them for being honest.

Palomine 12-10-2012 02:04 PM

I'd say a rider that has ridden quite a while, on different types of horses, and not just ones they have owned as well. While many riders are experienced enough from their own horses, if they only have had a couple of horses, that only they rode, and have not had to ride horses that others have ruined or spoiled, they may not have enough under the Wranglers to deal with a horse that needs an experienced rider.

Also, you have to keep in mind that a person may have great success with a horse that is easygoing, and prone to let others lead the way, or make the decisions, they may not be able to handle a headstrong horse well.

Knowing too the tendency of sellers to downplay problems, I always take these types of ads as really meaning....horse has bucked several off, or bites or rears, and really needs breaking from the ground up, if it is a person that I don't know.

People I know and trust I will trust more.

But I've seen a horse that I know personally advertised as "easy to handle, and rides well" and this is a horse that has bit, kicked, reared and thrown people.

montcowboy 12-10-2012 02:14 PM

all those adds mean around my part of the country is that they arent trained at all. as thenrie said.. best horse for the money...lol.. i normally pick up a few of them every spring then get a train on them and dump them in the late summer or fall..or the next year if they need it. but no there not for new riders. ride safe everyone