The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Selling etiquette? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/selling-etiquette-146038/)

nikelodeon79 12-09-2012 01:13 AM

Selling etiquette?

II just found the perfect show shirt on a fb group I'm a member of. I commented on the pic (private messages between non friends don't show up prominently so it's a risk pming). I asked if the inlay on the shirt was white (was hard to tell in the pic). I said if it was indeed white, I would buy it. Seller responded that it was white, and she could have it shipped to me on Monday of I pmed my address for payment. I sent a pm with my paypal address, and also commented on the pic that I'd sent the pm.

Seller then responded that the item had been sold. I responded that I was confused, because I thought I was the only one commenting. She said I was, but between the time she told me she'd sell it to me and I pmed her my address, (a matter of less than a half hour) someone else pmed her and she sold it to them.

Is it just me or was this incredibly rude? I can see if I left her hanging for days, but we're talking a matter of minutes.

I'm just incredibly irritated/bummed. :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 12-09-2012 11:49 AM

50 Attachment(s)
Sorry you lost out!
That was bad etiquette, in my opinion.

My husband trades bits and spurs on some of those FB pages. Usually the etiquette would be as follows.
If someone has an item for sale or trade and is in the midst of working on a deal anyone else interested asks to "get in line". If a deal isn't made then they would be the next in line and they would politely wait until they are notified that either the item is sold to the previous person or they are next to make a deal.
I think that was rude of the seller and the buyer.

Mochachino 12-09-2012 11:50 AM

Definitely rude.

Joe4d 12-09-2012 12:08 PM

first person to say "I'll take it" gets it. seller should list or reply SPF to further inquirers , as in sold pending funds. if you are still in the asking question stage, and some else says, "I'll take it" then they get it.
In your case kinda grey, Your last communication had an "IF" in it "If product is such and such I'll take it." you didnt really send a confirmed "yes". SO someone else that simply said I'll take it got it. I dont really think it was rude.

nvr2many 12-09-2012 12:27 PM

I hate that and also when you clearly are interested in buying and someone else comes along and says they want it and puts their paypal addy in like you do not matter. Happens often. Gah!

SouthernTrails 12-09-2012 12:34 PM

It is unfortunate, but I also can say that at least a dozen times I have had people call and say that they wanted a certain in stock item and would call me back in a few minutes with a CC number, then never hear from them again.

If she promised to hold it, then I would agree that she was rude and mean.