The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   First Real Dressage Show (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/first-real-dressage-show-146106/)

xeventer17 12-09-2012 04:27 PM

First Real Dressage Show

Yesterday, I took my lovely little Quarter Horse to his first real dressage show. It was definitely a learning experience. To anyone who does not know him and how far he's come, it was a pretty atrocious test. Lol! The best compliment we got from anyone that doesn't know him is that he's a very cute horse and is built very well. I'm not upset, in fact, I'm very proud of him! He was very tense and nervous, as was I which certainly didn't help at all, but he tried his heart out and was not truly disobedient (as he can be) even once, just tense. I'm not posting this in the critique section as I have a very specific training map laid out for him, and all in all, know exactly what went wrong in our test. I'm posting it here in hopes for a few suggestions on how to bring the calmness, relaxation and acceptance of the bridle that we've achieved at home to shows as well. Right now I'm thinking he just needs some mileage, but ideas are very welcome :]

Please, no yelling about the cross cantering. I was aware it was happening but was hoping he might get himself off balance enough to fix it himself. I know I would have scored better if I had fixed it, and in retrospect, I should have. If you'd like to offer suggestions on that specific problem, I've created another thread for it in the training section. Training out the cross canter Anyway, here's the video. Also, I would love to hear your experiences on taking your horse to his first dressage show. Thanks!

A picture of me and my handsome man after our test just because :] Yes, I was VERY tired!
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d.../Demon12-8.jpg

Weezilla 12-10-2012 05:19 AM

I'm bummed. No video listed. But what a keeper photo!

faye 12-10-2012 07:51 AM

sorry but I cant see the video.

xeventer17 12-10-2012 08:03 AM

Sorry guys. It was a link to facebook. I did not realize we were not allowed to post links to social media sites on here. I'll see if I can get it up on youtube tonight :)
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 12-10-2012 08:00 PM

Congrats on the first show :-) I took my horse to his first show (dressage or otherwise!) this spring, about 3 weeks after I got him. There was a big mix up with another event being held at the fairgrounds on the same weekend, and the petting zoo that was supposed to be on the other side of the grounds was set up right next to the warm up arena. All but one or two horses freaked out and the warm arena was completely unusable! I think both my tests scored in the 40's :oops::lol: Our last show in October (3rd show for my horse) he got a 71% on one of his tests. I was so proud of him :D

Your horse probably just needs more exposure to learn to relax at shows. The best thing you can do is try to keep yourself relaxed (sometimes easier said than done!) and he'll realize there's nothing to be worried about. If you can, take him off your property as often as you can (trail rides, clinics, etc.) so he gets used to being in new places.

core 12-11-2012 08:35 AM

Congratulations! The first few shows are the worst.

I think you have the perfect mentality for showing, and I hope you continue with it. We need more people like you in dressage!