The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   TB's in the Dressage Ring (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/tbs-dressage-ring-146117/)

OTTB8 12-09-2012 06:56 PM

TB's in the Dressage Ring

Someone said to me recently that TB's have no place in the dressage ring.

Obviously I own a TB...

I am of the opinion that any horse can compete at the low levels and it takes a certain amount of athletic ability and drive to compete the upper levels.

Yes Warmbloods are dominant for sure, but Thoroughbreds, IMO, also do well.

What's your opinion?:D

xeventer17 12-09-2012 07:02 PM

Ever paid attention to eventing? Many top eventing horses are OTTBs and they do very well with dressage. Dressage is a discipline based on the natural movement of the horse. Any breed can do it and even do it well. Heck, my little 15 hand Quarter Horse does dressage ;]

OTTB8 12-09-2012 07:03 PM

totally agree xeventer!

When I was told this my first thoughts went to eventing...

Reno Bay 12-09-2012 07:09 PM

I would love to event with my TB, but he'll probably do no jumping in his life. We're sticking to dressage. While Warmbloods are dominant in the dressage ring, that doesn't give anybody the right to say that Thoroughbreds don't have any place being there. That's incredibly arrogant and rude. You don't see me going around saying "your bigshot WB has no business being there". Any decently-conformed horse has the potential to do well at least in low levels. Just because they can't make it in upper levels doesn't mean they don't belong in the ring at all.

I hate arrogant people like that.

Kayty 12-10-2012 04:35 AM

Thoroughbreds can certainly hold their own in the Dressage arena. The difference between TB's and WB's however, is that you're more likely to find a WB that will be successful in the sport, than a TB.
I am devastated that I never had the opportunity to compete my last TB, he was ready for a prelim start before his hocks went, and people who had seen him in training offered double figures for him and asked what type of WB he was.

I've got two WB's now, but see a lot of TB's out there doing well too. Its just when you get to the higher levels, that the TB's start coming unstuck with racing injuries and often their brains can hack the higher level work.

Weezilla 12-10-2012 05:42 AM

I'd show this to the TB hater
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...hread.php&_rdr

Hilda Gurney's Keen was AMAZING and the first internationally competitive dressage horse for the US.
Keen xx, a Pioneer of American Dressage | eurodressage

A very sa-weeeet dressage OTTB, Sea Lord, ridden by Silva Martin, Boyd Martin's wife (Olympic 3Day Eventer)
YouTube

core 12-10-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTTB8 (Post 1791780)
Someone said to me recently that TB's have no place in the dressage ring.

Anyone who say's that is obviously ignorant.

DancingArabian 12-10-2012 08:56 AM

A lot of people say that only WB's have a place in the Dressage arena.

The problem IMO is when you compare two different breeds of horses and expect them to go the exact same way. An Arabian and a TB and a WB and whatever else all love differently and their movements should be judged independently, not in comparison to other horses. Just my $0.02 as a non judge and non competitor!

I hear the same stuff about my Arab. PFFT to them I say! They can keep their 40 cent ribbon.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 12-10-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weezilla (Post 1792427)
Hilda Gurney's Keen was AMAZING and the first internationally competitive dressage horse for the US.
Keen xx, a Pioneer of American Dressage | eurodressage

I was about to post that too.

OP, people say all different nasty things. Just don't be discouraged!

OTTB8 12-10-2012 11:44 AM

Thank you everyone!
I am not discouraged...more shocked that this person even said that. I felt it to be very closed minded.

What a great story about Keen xx!! I plan to check out the rest of the links but must head off to work.

It's nice to have such an open minded diverse group here! :-)