The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Fly Repellent?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/fly-repellent-146160/)

ReneeM 12-09-2012 10:47 PM

Fly Repellent??

Summers here and so are the flys!! Does anyone have a recipe for a fly repellent for horses that actually works? Would be great if it would last a day.

Or has anyone tried a product that is already available that they would recommend?

someone has suggested i use a half/half mixture of oil and Kerosene... but i'm worried that will burn their skin?

thanks

Foxhunter 12-10-2012 04:16 PM

The best fly repellent I have come across is a home made one!

Gat a bottle of pure Neem Oil,
2 tablespoons Neem 2 tablespoons liquid soap and mix with 1 litre of hot water.

You need hot water or it doesn't mix the oil. Wash that all over the horse rather than spraying.

It also keeps flies and ticks off dogs and cats. A lighter mix (1 of Neem 2 soap to 1L hot water) sprayed on plants keeps bugs and slugs away.

enzoleya 12-10-2012 05:16 PM

It smells a lot, but I use a mixture of dial soap and vinegar. It does a pretty darn good job, it keeps the horse clean, and you can put it on yourself. The mixture is 2 parts vinegar, one part dial soap (the orange antibacterial kind). What I do to measure it out is pour half the vinegar in a container, fill the half full vinegar container with dial soap, then pour that mixture in with the rest of the vinegar. Pretty easy, it just stinks like vinegar. Def don't spray the horse's face with the mixture, use your hand.

One thing I have learned is that if you want it to last longer you can put more dial soap in to make it a little thicker. I pasture board my horse and spray her with my mixture once a day, the other horse there is sprayed with some expensive store bought stuff-not sure how many times a day, but at least once. When I go out to see my horse a day after being sprayed she has about half the amount of flies on her compared to the other horse.