The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding Alone at night? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-alone-night-146179/)

huntergrl 12-10-2012 07:03 AM

Riding Alone at night?

What does everyone think about this?
Particularly riding alone at my barn at night. There are plenty of lights to light up the riding ring, but since it gets dark so fast now I can't get to the barn during the week until 6pm.
I really want to get my horse in shape so I'd like to ride twice during the week. I'm totally fine with riding during the day by myself especially because on the weekend there is always someone out there coming and going to the barn.
Mainly I don't feel comfortable doing this because the barn my horse is at has a ton of land and right beside it is part of the Croatan Forest which goes a very long ways in our state.
I'm not so sure it would be a wise idea if no one else was out there with me.
However, I guess bears are hibernating right now but then there's other wild animals too.
Thoughts?

RustyBucket 12-10-2012 10:54 AM

I used to ride at night all the time. I loved it! There is a bit more danger of course but there's nothing like riding your horse under a full moon, so peaceful and beautiful. I've come across coyotes, deer, racoons, and such and never had a problem. A bear or wolf might might cause a stir but I trust my horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyGap 12-10-2012 11:27 AM

When I was a teenager I rode alone at night, on the trails all the time. I was also bareback, with only a halter and a lead rope! It was such a great way to really connect with my horse. I used her eyes and trusted her to keep us safe. But she was amazing and I was riding her every day. As long as you trust him, and as long as you keep your phone with you I say go for it. Is the BO anywhere close? Make sure you tell people what you are doing, where, and when. Have someone call you at certain times to check and make sure you are ok!

Now I don't, I live wayyy out in the boonies (bears, coyote, bobcats, supposed mtn. lions, and who knows what kind of people...), I have a kid and DH to think about, and I'm not riding very often. Guess as you get older things get scarier. LOL! I wish I still felt as invincible.

wetrain17 12-10-2012 11:37 AM

It sounds like you have already made up your mind; you're not comfortable with it. Part of riding is the fun in it. If you're not comfotable riding at night, don't. Why force yourself to do something that is supposed to be pleasurable? Your horse will be fine.

heymckate 12-10-2012 12:53 PM

I ride alone on a somewhat regular basis. When alone, I will always wear a helmet (do this 99% of the time anyway), and I keep my cell phone on me just in case so I can make an emergency call if something happens. Also, if I'm riding in an arena, I make sure the arena gate is closed.

Animals have never been a huge issue to me. I'd like to think the lights would help deter them, and all the horses in the area would let me know if a predator was nearby.

Zeke 12-10-2012 01:02 PM

I'm a total worry wart and do not like riding alone just incase something happens and I get hurt. When alone I always have a helmet and cell phone as well as telling a couple people that I'm out at the barn so that if they hear from me for a couple hours they'll call or check on me. I learned the hard way recently when a student of mine fell off that in the event of some falls I won't be able to call for help.

I've done trail at night alone with a horse I very much trusted to be trail safe. In the end my mom came out to help me get the horse home. I was riding from drill practice back to the horses barn twice a week in the dark. It was comforting knowing I had help and some protection (not many wild animals around but a creepy lone guy or two) during the ride which made it more enjoyable for me.

I'm with the above poster, if you're uncomfortable then maybe you should reconsider or invite a friend to be with you once in awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device

montcowboy 12-10-2012 01:02 PM

riding alone at night is not only fun but great for the horse too. just make sure some one knows your down there.and your not back or they have heard from you at a set time..then the call the search a rescue..lol..but as long as you wont be there all night if hurt by yourself..its a great thing. with every young horse i train part of there training is heading out in the woods at night alone. they actually listen to you better..and they have great eyes. they see everything anyways.. so enjoy. ride safe..

huntergrl 12-10-2012 01:04 PM

Well I feel better about it knowing lots of people do it. Mainly its one of those things I lie down at night and think about.LOL So yes its definately age, things do get scarier as you get older. As long as the arena gate is closed it will be fine. The lights are really big and bright so I def think it would be ok. I can't wait to try it out now. Thanks!

AnalisaParalyzer 12-10-2012 03:30 PM

If i ride at night, its cause i'm camping ro hunting. so i have a gun on me. Annies got good eyes, and a solid step, and i trust her. if your not comfortable, it can cause worse problems. Your horse will feel it and respond to it, (even if you don't think they can).
it really is fun though, so maybe get a group to go the first few times?

Trouble4yaPaint 12-11-2012 09:27 AM

I ride at night sometimes and I love it!!(: I don't use a helmet EVER(: I think riding at night is amazing. I can't see the field roads, but Scooter can!!