The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Squaring Up Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/squaring-up-question-146195/)

Iloveappys 12-10-2012 10:35 AM

Squaring Up Question

My horse is having trouble squaring up. I always get is front feet but not his back. I will get marked down if he doesn't get square and I would love to go to state next summer. If you have any tips for me to get him square or if you had the same problem and you fixed it I will be very thankful. Thanks!:D

riccil0ve 12-10-2012 10:41 AM

Are you trying to square up his hind end first or his front? You need to get his back feet square, then his front. I know many people have horses who learn "set," or similar cue, that means to square up. I don't know how they go about that, but I would assume its a matter of getting them square and applying the cue. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

GoAppendix 12-10-2012 07:43 PM

Ideally, you'd like a two step set-up. The previous poster is correct, set the hind feet first. It might help you to always have the right hind always stay stationary. This would be your pivot foot and you'll never move it for a set-up. So you'd move the left hind until the feet are square (eventually getting down to one step), then set the fronts.

Horsecents1997 03-03-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoAppendix (Post 1793318)
Ideally, you'd like a two step set-up. The previous poster is correct, set the hind feet first. It might help you to always have the right hind always stay stationary. This would be your pivot foot and you'll never move it for a set-up. So you'd move the left hind until the feet are square (eventually getting down to one step), then set the fronts.

How would you get your horse to set his back feet first? Sorry, dumb question!

ponypile 03-03-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsecents1997 (Post 1920914)
How would you get your horse to set his back feet first? Sorry, dumb question!

The same way you would the front. Move the horse a small step forward and backward (back and forth) until they are even. If your horse is really bad at it, at first I'd set up the hind legs, and then place the front feet where I want them by lifting them up and putting them there. After that give the horse a pat or a scratch and just stand there with it for a while, maybe practicing your showmanship motions. The horse will learn that when it stand, squared up, there's no nit picking and he can just chill.

GarretKaylaShi 03-04-2013 04:09 PM

Turn your horses head to the right if you want the left foot to move and the opposite for the right foot, then pull them foward or backward to move the foot, it will teach him to set up with the back feet, then just continue setting up the front feet!

waresbear 03-05-2013 12:25 PM

If you can find it, the best technique I found was in the Richard Shrake video on Showmanship.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 03-07-2013 08:11 AM

Once the hinds are set raise the horse's head a bit and pull it forward to encourage it to place a front foot. With an elevated head it is more inclined to keep the back feet still. Everything is exaggerated at first.