The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Harley and I jumping! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/harley-i-jumping-146225/)

Horseychick94 12-10-2012 05:14 PM

Harley and I jumping!

What do you think?
Harley and I jumping! - YouTube

whiskeynoo 12-10-2012 05:41 PM

i don't know much about jumping so i can't really critique, but i do really like how calm he is coming up to the jump and how he takes his time.

Klassic Superstar 12-10-2012 05:59 PM

Your horse is beautiful!He really listen and repsonds well to you and your very insync with eachother!
What I see that would help is that you need to lift your handsa good 5'' higher, right now they are in your lap, quiet and still but in your lap....even going over the small jump. The jump itself being so small and your horse taking it smoothly makes it so you dont need a big relase but, stearing and a small relase are needed so you dont catch him in the mouth.

Beofre you pick up your reisn think about loosening your supper bpdy up....lik wet noodles, shake your are out, twost side to side arms out like aireplane wings then up to the sky and do shoulder circles, this will all help keep a soft bend when your hands come out of your lap, you will need to shorten your reins just a bit when this happens.

because your hands are in your lap, and though your hands a nice a quiet they are pulling down on him and thats why his head is in their and neck looks pretty braced.

Is their a feild you could ride in other then this little area you are in?

All in all you look good and very stable. I think your legs are at a good place os that you can get more of a wrapping senstation around his barrel and seems he steeers off your seat pretty good?

The minis are super cute, the little one running around when you go past is too cute!

Horseychick94 12-10-2012 06:21 PM

I only got like half of what you said

Klassic Superstar 12-10-2012 06:40 PM

Well what half did you not understand?

Oxer 12-10-2012 06:56 PM

i would personally prefer for someone not to "tanter" to a fence. Either trot it, or canter it. There's no impulsion in his canter. Put your leg on either ask for a nice working trot, or a forward canter, with the impulsion from the hind.

ThoroughbredJumper 12-10-2012 07:44 PM

i agree with Oxer. Have a steady pace before and after the jump. Sure, change a few strides after. But not basically OVER the jump. Also, it looks like youre sitting over the jump as well as everywhere else... Raise your hands a bit and keep your saddle light so he can have spring off the ground, it could round out his jump more and make him steady on the back side. I am trying to be nice, bare with me.

ThoroughbredJumper 12-10-2012 07:52 PM

Also, it seems you are using his mouth for stability and you're not using much leg, if any...

Horseychick94 12-10-2012 07:54 PM

I think its because my stirrups are a tad long. new saddle so havent adjusted. I was def not using his mouth to stabilize. This horse has an extremely hard mouth. Also he has a tendency to duck out of the jumps and I am just getting my confidence back so I made him approach slower. He also has a tendency to flatten out too much and go through the jump if I push him too much

ThoroughbredJumper 12-10-2012 07:56 PM

It, honestly, didnt seem you were pushing at all (with your leg) maybe you were with your seat which would explain the sitting that was so apparent, but that wont help him. Try and use your leg to push him instead of your seat. Cheers'