The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   is it safe to load horses in a trailer without the truck attached (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/safe-load-horses-trailer-without-truck-146230/)

BreannaMarie 12-10-2012 06:18 PM

is it safe to load horses in a trailer without the truck attached

ive been told that it is safe to load up without the truck attatched but ive also been told that its not safe????

Phly 12-10-2012 07:13 PM

Really depends on the trailer. I'd venture to say fith wheel and gooseneck trailer are safe. Some stock trailers are (we do this with our stock trailer) I'd be more worried about small trailer. Such as two horse bumper pull. They can all be safe if needed. Blocking the back of the trailer so it can't drop, which cause the jack to lift off the ground. And always bock the wheels to prevent the trailer from rolling. So long story short yes if proper precautions are takin.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 12-10-2012 07:21 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Ill never load one of my horses in a unhitched trailer. Its asking for trouble.
Posted via Mobile Device

nikelodeon79 12-10-2012 10:38 PM

I would never do it. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would want/need to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 12-10-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 (Post 1793693)
I would never do it. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would want/need to.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do it because I don't always take my dually out back when I'm playing with them. Others don't own a truck (or the trailer, I'd guess) so using the trailer would be fine but asking them to hitch it every time you have a whim to play may not be feasible.
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 12-10-2012 11:04 PM

I'd never risk it. Live weight is completely different than the weight of inanimate objects. Loading horses in a trailer that's not attached is asking for trouble. You want to get your horse to load better and it's a pain to always hitch your truck up to it? Your horse will really have trouble loading if it tips up or down or moves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 12-10-2012 11:08 PM

Or theyll be really good at loading if they can do it on a see-saw ;) haha honestly though we have no issues with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 12-10-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1793736)
Or theyll be really good at loading if they can do it on a see-saw ;) haha honestly though we have no issues with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't see how that's funny. I would never risk my horses health, especially when it's so easy to avoid. You won't be laughing when someone gets really hurt, and you'll be kicking yourself for being careless. Luck doesn't stick around forever, and betting on it is nothing short of foolish.
Posted via Mobile Device

mrslizzard 12-10-2012 11:25 PM

the goose neck is probaly safe to load without the truck being attached I still wouldn't do it though. I would worry if the foot(i forget what its called lol) of the gooseneck sinks or it its not on flat ground it could throw the trailers balance off if the horse shifts too much in the trailer.

Phly 12-10-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1793754)
I don't see how that's funny. I would never risk my horses health, especially when it's so easy to avoid. You won't be laughing when someone gets really hurt, and you'll be kicking yourself for being careless. Luck doesn't stick around forever, and betting on it is nothing short of foolish.
Posted via Mobile Device

Because I made that comment as a funny haha, you know? And it can be done safely.
Posted via Mobile Device