The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Help me choose English riding clothing. Quick! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/help-me-choose-english-riding-clothing-146233/)

ilikehorses2 12-10-2012 07:37 PM

Help me choose English riding clothing. Quick!

I am just starting lessons and don't have a clue what to wear:lol:!! If I need to buy stuff it has to be really cheap as I don't have a lot of money:wink:... I am working all week for for lessons!:oops: Please send me links to what I will need.

nikelodeon79 12-10-2012 09:03 PM

What kind of lessons?

You need to ask your instructor what you need to wear. Safety before fashion. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

montcowboy 12-10-2012 09:07 PM

flip flops..shorts. will get you through either western or english..just joking..lol... couldnt resist... good luck with your lessons..very exciting.another one joining the club of horse lovers..doomed to a life of feeding . watering.combing. cold..hot. all your money gone for horse things...but i wouldnt change it if i could.... ride safe..

Tessa7707 12-11-2012 10:45 PM

English or western, for safety you'll need:
1) Boots with at least a 1" heel. You might have something that will do until you can get some boots, the 1" heel is a safety measure that helps keep your foot from going through the stirrup and getting caught
2) Pants that go to your ankles, jeans are great
3) A helmet if your instructor doesn't provide them.

I'll get you some links for options

EthanQ 12-11-2012 10:52 PM

I don't see how this is an urgent message. I clicked on this thread expecting to see questions about sickness or injury. woops.

Moderator's note:

The title was reduced from "urgent" to the lesser "quick". on a forum like this, "urgent" implies a real emergency and should not be used lightly

Tessa7707 12-11-2012 11:00 PM

Cheap boots: $50 BootBarn - Jama Children's Broad Square Toe Western Boots
Better Boots: $90 BootBarn - Ariat Kid's Quickdraw Western Boots
Try thrift stores or craigslist, but I definitely recommend going to a physical store and trying on a brazillion boots to see what feels good on your feet and your correct size.

I'm guessing you have jeans you can wear, :)

ASTM-SEI approved riding helmet: these are the ones I use for my students. Affordable and built to ASTM standards. http://www.amazon.com/Troxel-Spirit-Black-Duratec-Large/dp/B002DWR5SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355281132&sr=8-1&keywords=troxel+spirit+riding+helmet

montcowboy 12-11-2012 11:02 PM

its urgent.. not life or death..but still....

ilikehorses2 12-12-2012 03:11 PM

I will be riding english...

ilikehorses2 12-12-2012 03:50 PM

How do I change the title?

moderator note:

I took care of that. Good luck in your lessons! I am sure you'll do great.

Tessa7707 12-12-2012 05:04 PM

You're riding english? Not my area of expertise, but look for paddock boots, like this:
Cheap paddock boots: $35 Children's Saxon Equi-Leather™ Zip Paddock Boot | Dover Saddlery
and cheap half chaps: $35 Children's Dublin Easy-Care Half Chaps | Dover Saddlery
Tall boots eliminate the need for half chaps, but are usually much more expensive. Instructors also often have half chaps for you to use until you get your own. Ask your instructor if she/he has half chaps.

Jeans are fine to begin with, you will probably want breeches eventually.
Cheap Breeches: $25 Equi-Star Kids' Riding Breeches | Dover Saddlery

And you will still need a helmet :) good luck with your lessons!