The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Changing Barns? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/changing-barns-146305/)

QHWillow 12-11-2012 10:01 AM

Changing Barns?

So Ive been at my current barn since October but the problem is its 40 minutes away on a good day and more on a bad day. My mare is green and needs a lot of work but because of a under 18 rule I cannot be at the barn without a parent even if I am just brushing my mare, there is no exceptions to this rule, and my mom is always busy so I can only go see my horse 2-3 days a week if I am lucky. I was hoping to find a closer barn in the Northeast Ohio area that has board cheaper than $480 (our current price) and a full and partial care options, if the barn gives lessons thats even better! Right now I am a western contester wanting and willing to learn English riding including dressage and jumping. My mare has always been western but has a dressage and speed build, my current trainer said that she could jump but only low level. I need a warm and friendly place willing to accept me and my mare. My mare has a small abuse background and has some head shyness so if the barn has turnout included in board I would need them to understand that. Im at the point where ill take a break in my western contesting just to be able to ride english, my current barn will allow it but the problem is that I cant get out there enough to work on her behavior issues and start english riding. Im also part of the 4H so a show barn would be great! Please help! Anything such as tips or barn suggestions will be loved!

wetrain17 12-11-2012 11:24 AM

Try NewHorse.com Or post ad add on your local CL and list what you are looking for.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 12-11-2012 11:44 PM

I've found almost all of my boarding situations of craigslist. I thought it was a good experience and the next time I need to find boarding that's where I'll be going. Obviously just make sure you get everything in writing and check out the place first.

QuietHeartHorses 12-21-2012 02:25 AM

Yep! Craigslist! I always have the best luck on there. You could search for a boarding facility, or write your own ad and describe what you are looking for. Around where I live, there are a lot of girls from the equestrian team and/or 4H who board at the more expensive show barns, but they work off some of the cost by cleaning stalls... just a thought!

It is totally worth it to have your horse closer to home, too. I used to board about 27 miles from my house and my horse really started sliding downhill because I wasn't out there as much as I needed to be. I moved him within 5 miles of my house this past summer and he is a much happier boy now.

I wouldn't worry too much about your horse's head shy behavior. As long as she is mostly agreeable and doesn't try to take anyone's head off, you should be fine. Any respectable BO knows that horses have quirks and they should be able to deal with them in a firm, but kind way.

Just really do your homework. Ask a ton of questions. Everyone loves walking in and seeing the big stalls and rubber mats and the equi-sand indoor arena... but get to the bottom of the important things. Just remember, you will be leaving your baby with these people. Make sure she will be treated like one of the family.

Good luck with your search! I hope everything works out for you and your girl.