The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   cattle research (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/cattle-research-146307/)

kait18 12-11-2012 10:50 AM

cattle research

well i have been gone since SANDY hit... and thank the lord there wasn't to much damage. But for some reason it did not stop my parents plans of turning our small farm into a real farm.. :(
what started off with just horses is not horses, chickens, pigs and NOW 3 cattle.

Pretty sure they are angus... or part angus.

we have 2 heifers and a steer!!!

steer will be going for meat in due time and my parents want to breed the females.

the steer is the oldest at 8 months to a year and the heifers 4-8months

questions are as follows: now if you have any good sources i can read up on it would be helpful as well

1. how young can a heifer be to be bred?? and will there be complications (she slipped out of her field in at the sellers place)
2. when preparing them for butcher... what does everyone usually do??
3. what are some good grains to put them on to beed them up..if any at all??
4. i just need some links to read up on so point me in the right direction :)

thanks everyone

hope everyone is doing well :)
kait

tim62988 12-16-2012 02:29 PM

Dairy Cattle (so going to be a bit different as far as beefing them up)

but I would wait to start breeding untill 12-14months old, might want to call your local Artificial Breeder (Genex/CRI is a good company) and talk with them a bit, they could help you on setting them up with a CIDIR then a shot then breeding that way both will be breed at the same time

setting up to butcher, I would talk to the local butcher, but heavy grain diets are more expensive but do produce a better meat quality and tenderness

which feed to use, local feedmill should be able to help you, you would want them to know that they are beef heifers you plan to breed since you would want to feed them differently than the steer for the freezer

Nightside 12-16-2012 02:39 PM

I raise Hereford, Angus, and the crosses. Our bull is kept with he ladies so they are usually bred around a year old. 100 calves have probably been born here and we only had 1 female die from complications. The calf ripped her up on the inside and she bled out. That aside, they do what nature does best.

To prepare for butcher, well, I don't kill my own. We usually sell calves around 6 months old to private people, who in turn fatten them up and sell them to a slaughter house. In the case of steers, anyway. Ours are strictly grass fed and look great, and I take a lot of pride in.that.

When raising steers for show, the amount they get depends on their feed conversion rate. The object is NOT to get a fat cow. Marbling (the fat) should be in an even amount with plenty of muscling still showing through. They are stalled and led (exercised) daily but other than that they eat. And of course you will have a difficult time getting the average cow to look as good as a show cow without them being bred for it. Like horse feed, there are many steer feeds to choose from.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nightside 12-16-2012 02:42 PM

Also as someone else pointed out, unless they have excellent feed conversion, they will be MUCH more expensive to feed than the average horse. You want them gaining weight every day (those going to butcher) and the average steer ate a few pounds every day (4 seemed average, some up to 6)
Posted via Mobile Device

AnrewPL 12-16-2012 05:30 PM

Yep, like everyone else said on the breeding heifers. On the feeding grain to steers; personally I’m a bit sceptical of it. All the places I ever worked on raised grass fed cattle (except a couple of really big places in the NT, they would ship them live to Indonesia to feedlots, but we still had them on grass). I have eaten grain fed beef and to be honest I have always preferred grass fed. And when you start feeding them it can get expensive, if your feed prices start getting above what you get for the meat it gets unprofitable really fast; as long as you have rain you should have grass; much cheaper, just find out if there are any mineral deficiencies in your area and get lick if you have to.