The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Joint care for the fussy horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/joint-care-fussy-horse-146323/)

NBEventer 12-11-2012 01:29 PM

Joint care for the fussy horse

So Nasty Brat is a seriously fussy eater. She will not eat minerals in her feed, she wont touch bute, she wont even eat cool calories and there is no hiding it in molasses or oil. I think its a texture thing. I can only get her to eat demand and fat and fibre as it is pellet.

However she is turning 20 and I want to start giving her something to help with her joints as she is still competing doing jumpers and eventing. I am pondering cortaflx as it does come in pellet form.

Any thoughts or opinions or suggestions? I am pondering going the adequan route but getting it started is not easy on the pocket book at all. But it is not ruled out.

CLaPorte432 12-11-2012 01:40 PM

893 Attachment(s)
There is a product similar to Adequan that is MUCH more economical.

Its called Pentosan, still an IM injection. My mare has SEVERE arthritis due to an injury (shes only 5) and she's been on Pentosan for 6 weeks now and is doing phenomenal! Hardly a limp anymore and progressing daily. I can only imagine how it'll work on a horse that is still in good condition.

I pay $19 per 6ml shot. It was $38 for 12ml Loading Dose, gave 1 shot per week for 4 weeks, now we are down the the 6ml shot, twice a week. Eventually we'll go down to 1xmonth but at this point in time, im doing 2x a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

NBEventer 12-11-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1794352)
There is a product similar to Adequan that is MUCH more economical.

Its called Pentosan, still an IM injection. My mare has SEVERE arthritis due to an injury (shes only 5) and she's been on Pentosan for 6 weeks now and is doing phenomenal! Hardly a limp anymore and progressing daily. I can only imagine how it'll work on a horse that is still in good condition.

I pay $19 per 6ml shot. It was $38 for 12ml Loading Dose, gave 1 shot per week for 4 weeks, now we are down the the 6ml shot, twice a week. Eventually we'll go down to 1xmonth but at this point in time, im doing 2x a month.
Posted via Mobile Device

You have just made me want to kiss you lol. That is MUCH nicer on the pocket book. I am going to see if you can get it in Canada or if my vet can order it for me.

She is starting to get a bit sticky on the right rein so I want to step in and take care of her now before it gets bad.

CLaPorte432 12-11-2012 01:57 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Pentosan is used widely in Australia and Europe. It's really new to the US, the FDA just recently allowed use of it here. And thank goodness that they did! Not sure about Canada yet...?

Im the first client that my vet has used it on and the success that we have had with it, plus the much nicer price, she has now ordered multiple viles of it to have on hand for other clients.

If any of my other horses need joint care, im going to be trying Pentosan first. Its easier for my to administer since i dont give my horses daily grain, so oral supplements are hard for me to administer.

Im a very happy horse owner due to this. :-) My mare now actually has a chance of being competed on now.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 12-11-2012 02:14 PM

I give my old girl Previcox - she is semi retired now with arthritis but it keeps her comfortable - my vet prescribes it in tablet form - approved for dogs and proving to be much safer than bute or Naproxin in terms of ulcers and kidney/liver damage. She eats it in with her feed and doesnt seem to notice
I also add Grand Flex senior which is a powder with an apple smell to it - she seems to not mind that either, she can be really fussy about some stuff too
I've been thinking about Adequan through the winter as we can inject that so I will look up the alternative suggested here - always looking to save money!!!

NBEventer 12-11-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 1794378)
I give my old girl Previcox - she is semi retired now with arthritis but it keeps her comfortable - my vet prescribes it in tablet form - approved for dogs and proving to be much safer than bute or Naproxin in terms of ulcers and kidney/liver damage. She eats it in with her feed and doesnt seem to notice
I also add Grand Flex senior which is a powder with an apple smell to it - she seems to not mind that either, she can be really fussy about some stuff too
I've been thinking about Adequan through the winter as we can inject that so I will look up the alternative suggested here - always looking to save money!!!

Sadly I know she wont touch a pill. We had to crush pills for her and core out an apple and feed it that way. Even then it had to be done sneaky. She will not touch anything. Cool calories smell so yummy and its just a powder and she wont eat them. She is such a snot.

I am going to call my vet and see if they have the alternative here in Canada, it will be great if we do. I am a big big fan of adequan but right now with buying a house and building a barn and all that fun stuff we just do not have the money to do the initial loading dose.

CLaPorte432 12-11-2012 02:29 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Oh i completely understand regarding money. When my mare was first injured, we looked at Adequan and i was going to go through with it, but my vet was still researching the Pentosan. Thank goodness she convinced me to try it.

Ive found numerous articles online that people state that Adequan did nothing for their horses, but Pentosan has. Havent found too much of that being flip-flopped where Pentosan does nothing and Adequan does.

My mare had some major swelling in her hock. She was injured back in September, and the swelling is just now almost completely gone. Yay! Happy dance! I notice that the week after the shot, she feels really awesome and the swelling really goes down. We are still building up her body with these shots. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 12-11-2012 03:14 PM

Do you inject the Pentosan direct into the joint or can it go anywhere?

I originally was pushing the Previcox tablet into a piece of apple for Flo and she ate it fine, I then tried it broke up in her feed and it went so I think maybe they dont have much taste

Some things I've tried to hide in apples she still refuses to touch and then wont speak to me for weeks!!!

CLaPorte432 12-11-2012 03:19 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Its IM (IntraMuscular) so its injection into any muscle. Neck, Chest or Booty.

I inject into the chest muscle because its easiest for me since Rumor is a brat after having to do 5 shots a day for 6 days. :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 12-11-2012 03:25 PM

That would work for me - she's no trouble with shots but her stifle is her main problem and not sure she'd be happy injecting into there - its her 'funny spot'!!!