The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Best Trail Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/best-trail-mare-146333/)

Iseul 12-11-2012 02:32 PM

Best Trail Mare

I swear I have the best horse I've ever had the pleasure of seeing/knowing. Im pretty sure she saved our lives today.
So..no one called me and told me we wouldn't start work until 12.30 instead of 11, so I kinda said screw work and left (dont hate me..they have enough people as is and they obviously dont need me there if they cant call) and went to the barn (10mins from work) so it wasnt a wasted trip. ST came up to me in the field when I went to get her and we saddled up (she went back to her normal self, btw) and headed out to the road for a trail ride. She snorted and did her stop and stare spooks for almost the whole mile and calmed down as soon as we got off the road. It didnt occur to me that it'd be as wet as it was (my area didnt get too much rain) and we came to the caution tape (hunters not allowed, we have permission to use the trails though) and we stood, contemplating on if I'd turn around and go back or risk sliding down to the bottom of the valley and go around it. While I dont thinj I wouldve risked our lives like that, ST decided for me and backed a good 50ft back up the trail and refused to go back down. I knew it was a bad idea to continue for the sake of making her do as told and got 3 steps back down the trail and turned to go home. She was an angel on the way back and didnt spook at anything and I even got to relax enough to wave at the cars going by (slowly, no one was careless this time) with a smile. One lady in a dog grooming van just stopped and stared for a bit and finally waved back, haha.

So..first time on a solo ride (for both of us) and I think she did stunning.

So, I have a couple pictures. (:

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...211_141330.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...211_141526.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...211_141702.jpg

I liked those the best, but I may post two more of the road riding as well. (:
Posted via Mobile Device

Iseul 12-11-2012 02:34 PM

Also..no comment on her being tied by the bit. I wanted to take a quick few pictures and I know she doesnt pull at all. Otherwise, I would've taken the time to switch to her halter. It didnt hurt anything for 30 seconds and I was right there if something wouldve happened.
Posted via Mobile Device

Catpeedontherug 12-11-2012 02:38 PM

VERY cool!!
I hope you 2 keep it up.
It's so fun to have these adventures with horses.

(your mare sounds like mine~ stop and stare spooks.)

clairegillies 12-11-2012 03:06 PM

she's so pretty. awesome that you listened to her 'advice' and not go somewhere dangerous today.

Claire

BBBCrone 12-11-2012 09:51 PM

Neat pictures. Beautiful red you have there :) And smart on top of it.

Iseul 12-11-2012 09:56 PM

Thanks. (: Funny thing, I always hated sorrels unless they were flaxen and said id never own on..Im very close to finally actually purchasing this one, haha.
I also always thought she was stupid, irrational, and had no self-preservation..sure as sh!t, she proved me wrong again today, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 12-11-2012 10:03 PM

I think she is beautiful. She has very sweet eyes. I know it sounds nuts but I think there is something to the "shape of the eyes tell the personality" thing. Your girl has a gentle look.

Can't help myself as I am old and have seen a lot in my days... Never trust that nothing can happen in 30 seconds. Okay, I did my mothering... carry on. :)

Iseul 12-11-2012 10:11 PM

Oh, I know things can happen, Ive seen some of it..But I wouldn't have done it if I was going to have her out of my sight or reaction distance. I only did it because she was pooped, she doesnt pull, and I was not even 5ft away.

She does have sweet looking eyes though, now that Im paying attention instead of just drooling over her white lmao

And not to leave out, ST stands for Sweet Thing (aka Shake That Sweet Thang), named after the sweet tarts that lured her onto the trailer when BO picked her up on a rescue (big siezure in westmoreland county years ago where they just asked people to come pick em up if they wanted one, with paperwork of course). BO didnt even know she was choosing one to keep, she thought her friend that asked her meant to trailer them to a location, not just take them, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

jinx1990 12-12-2012 01:49 AM

I learned early on to listen to that extra sense horses have lol. We were on a trail when my horse refused to cross a narrow stream, so my dad decided to go first. His horse made it two steps before he disappeared under the water. Lucky for my dad, he was a waterhorse water and happily swam to other side :). I didn't feel like getting wet so we went around the deep hole.

But I really love your saddle-black tack is my favorite. Where did you get it?
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 12-12-2012 07:18 AM

Yes, I've got to agree about the soft loving eyes.....she's a beauty.

Funny about the nick name....I call Miss Lacy "too sweet"....